Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 24-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
therat
Arofanatic

Default Civil service bonus details out soon: report

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/civil-servi...n--report.html

Civil servants could be getting an additional 0.75 month payout and a dollar quantum for their year-end bonus, according to a report by Channel NewsAsia on Wednesday.

The broadcaster, citing sources, said that this was among the considerations during discussions at the Public Service Division recently, and that official notification on the bonus could be announced on Thursday.

The news comes amid a gloomy global economic outlook, with Singapore predicting sharply lower economic growth of around 5 per cent this year and a further slowdown to between 1 and 3 per cent next year.

In contrast, civil servants received two months bonus payout, comprising of a month's salary for an annual variable component and another month for the 13th-month payment, at the end of last year, when the economy grew by 14.5 per cent.

In July this year, civil servants received a mid-year bonus of half--a-month's salary and $250 after a strong economic performance in the first quarter. The one-off cash payment of $250 was given based on the National Wages Council recommendation to assist low-wage workers with rising price.

Then, the PSD said the government would decide on the year-end bonus for civil servants after considering the Republic's economic performance in the second half of 2011.
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
prestontan
Arofanatic

I don't understand how 13th month pay = bonus since there are 52 weeks per year so it is actually part of our pay package.

In other words, if civil servants get 0.75 avc, it simply means they will actually receive 0.25 month actual bonus at the end of the year (having collected half a month advance in June)
prestontan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
acedophin
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestontan View Post
I don't understand how 13th month pay = bonus since there are 52 weeks per year so it is actually part of our pay package.

In other words, if civil servants get 0.75 avc, it simply means they will actually receive 0.25 month actual bonus at the end of the year (having collected half a month advance in June)
Not entirely correct on the bonus part, civil servant get performance bonus of 0.5-3 mths based position during the new financial year. Outside where got PB?
acedophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
bettabetter
Senior Dragon

Civil servants will receive a bonus of 1.75 months' pay at the end of the year.

This is made up of the annual variable component (AVC) - this year, 0.75 months' pay - and another month's pay for the standard 13th-month payment.

The AVC amount was decided against a backdrop of 5.4 per cent economic growth in the first three quarters of 2011, with overall growth for the year forecast to be around 5.0 per cent, the Public Service Division said in a statement on Thursday.

However, short-term growth could be affected by slowing global demand and economic uncertainties, it added.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_737581.html
bettabetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
robetta
Arofanatic

Civil Servants...
i wonder are they refering to those who are permanent only or also those on contract basis...
A lot of us, including me, are not in the perm position... on top of that, we don get benefits and pay as stipulated...
bonus wise also different.. cause we are employ by 3rd party agency instead of the organisation itself....
robetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
Oneiromancer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robetta View Post
Civil Servants...
i wonder are they refering to those who are permanent only or also those on contract basis...
A lot of us, including me, are not in the perm position... on top of that, we don get benefits and pay as stipulated...
bonus wise also different.. cause we are employ by 3rd party agency instead of the organisation itself....
Depends on contract. Previously no, but now some contract staff do get it.
Oneiromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
robetta
Arofanatic

but a lot of contract staffs are not getting what the perm staffs are getting... hahahaa...
anyway, the turnover rate here is high..
so i am not really expecting much..
Old 25-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
prestontan
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedophin View Post
Not entirely correct on the bonus part, civil servant get performance bonus of 0.5-3 mths based position during the new financial year. Outside where got PB?
You are correct. But not every one gets PB. And, ranking is subjective. Not all supervisors share the same views and some take it as an opportune time to teach the fellow colleague a lesson - I've seen too many.

In my community, old = useless and "D is not an averse grade. Your PB is already structured into your pay" excuse.

No PB = No Growth Bonus (forgotten the new name given to it). Basically, the management gives itself all the credit and donates all blame to those outside their circle.

Maybe it is my personal bias. But my views have been shaped by what I have seened and witnessed. So PB should be left out of the equation since it is not meant to be 'equal' in the first place.
prestontan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
robetta
Arofanatic

super sian.... whenever its bonus time for us commoners, the economy will be gloomy... why so zhun one...
anyway, i am also working in some gov agency.... but too bad, contract staff...
don think i will get to "enjoy" the bonus...
Old 26-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #10
k3nlim

too most r contact staff? there's not alot of perm staffs left unless u're on the old scheme