Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 04-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #21
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
Poor circulation and wild fluctuating levels of CO2 will cause BBA.

To try and eliminate it, first of all try to remove as much as BBA as possible by hand. Trim off the affected leaves and lightly siphon the gravel. Then try to ensure good circulations and also try to maintain a good level of CO2. Maintaining a good balance of lights/CO2/nutrients will help as well.

Low plant mass usually invites all sorts of algae, not only BBA.

High fish load will cause problems mainly because the biological filtration cannot handle the wastes and cause a spike in ammonia. Ammonia is the root cause of most algae, not nutrients like Nitrates or Phosphate. Its been a long misconception.

-Calvin
Calvin,

Anyway to get rid of them? I have a tank full of them, thought of redo the tank, but it is a 4ft, very siong to restart again.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #22
Shad0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
Calvin,

Anyway to get rid of them? I have a tank full of them, thought of redo the tank, but it is a 4ft, very siong to restart again.
I used the florish excel method, seems to be working the BBA turn to WBA (white Beard Algae)

Inject excel directly to BBA using stringe. I inject once every day, and it all turn to red on 2nd day and turn to white on the 3rd day.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #23
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
Calvin,

Here's what I post earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin
I used Excel before and it works. I guess its due to the ingredient of Glutaraldehyde present in Excel.

Use 2x the recommended dosage and have a syringe to inject directly over the thicker bunches of BBA. Do it everyday until the BBA is gone. If you see cloudiness in the water, stop as the BB in the filter is affected. Wait for a few days until the water is clear before trying again. You might want to do a minor water change (15%) during those few days.

Along the way, just remove manually all you can.

Its best to remove all fauna from the tank though I left my yamatos and otos inside with no problems. But on paper, I recommend you to evacuate all of them if you are going chemical.

The thing is that the plants are severely weakened by it. The affected leaves and the more affected plants will turn glassy and brittle.

-Calvin
Its more difficult for a 4 footer as it is much bigger and tougher to eliminate. But if you don't have time to inject directly over the BBA, just pour it in should also help.

Your parameters is wrong somwhere so you gotta fix it if you do not wish to do a total rescape, though doing a total rescape might not work if you repeat what you're doing, as BBA can come back again. Relook at your lights, circulation and overall balance.

-Calvin

-Calvin
Old 04-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #24
elimmel
Senior Dragon

it's going to be difficult with all the CRS in the tank.

best to transfer the CRS out and strip the tank.
start over with a view to go low maintenance without co2.
if still intend to use co2, then need to take note of water circulation, co2 level, high plant mass and making sure nutrient levels are good to drive plant growth.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote