Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 01-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
therat
Arofanatic

Default Et tu Mr Khaw

http://speakspokewritewrote.wordpres...et-tu-mr-khaw/

Et tu Mr Khaw?

Sometimes I feel really sorry for Tin Pei Ling.

Tin Pei Ling was supposed to have been a sign that thePAPhas finally heard the cries of the young. She was supposed to be a star catch – a pap candidate that shows thatPAPis ready to be hip and happening and not just remain old and fuddy duddy. They could not have done it worse.

I do not blame Ms Tin alone though. ThePAPand its unlimited budget had failed badly in its pr management and marketing strategies. Ms Tin became the poster girl for much scorn and derision. Choosing her confirmed for most Singaporeans thatPAPreally did not know the electorate well.

This was clear way before nomination day. PM himself made mention of Ms Tin at an NUS forum with the students. He laughingly asked for people to give her and her youth a chance. Just a few days ago, he pledged not to parachute people in at the last minute. Regrets? A little late, dear PM. Now we are beginning to doubt the ability of the PAP to select and attract able candidates.

Frankly, I cannot imagine that the PAP selected a totally empty vessel. However, impressions once formed are very difficult to correct. The question is, could these poor impressions have been prevented? Exactly what made Ms Tin become so unpopular?

Kawaii post with Kate Spade bag
Stamping of feet, and cutesy tantrum, professing “I don’t know what to say on national television
A deepest regret statement that was extremely shallow – “I did not bring my parents to universal studios”. This was made worse by a younger Nicole Seah’s statement that she was too young to have anything that could be categorized as “deepest” regret”
She did not think any policies needed to be changed for they were all good.
Her cooling off day fiasco for which she blamed her assistant but made no apologies for the highly sarcastic and uncalled for content. It did not matter who wrote the comment, as the owner of that site, she should have apologized for such a derogatory comment – that would show class.

The above showed a shallow person who is totally supportive of thePAP, who is not likely to make any attempt to speak up against any party policy. The question is, how could thePAPpr team allow such an image to be portrayed to the public? The problem I feel lies more with the attitude the ruling party, than the actual ability of Ms Tin. Did they think the electorate will just accept anyone just because the PAP had selected her? Why was she not prepared for her first public appearance?

This is made worse by the feeble attempts at damage control. Every month or other, there would appear an article devoted to Ms Tin in the mainstream media. Instead of reducing public ire, these articles only serve to remind the electorate how we had been forced to “give her a chance” just because she was a member of a GRC team. It takes time for a rookie to show her performance, and if there were no flashes of brilliance, does bringing her name forward really help her popularity?

In fact, currently, her trying to keep a low profile, quietly serving her community has put her in a better stead. She has been sabotaged enough by her own. Though, to be fair to her team, she has also made some boo – boos all on her own. Classic case was the statement she made about how all of us will grow older, but some will grow old faster than others. Sigh, Ms Tin, every body grows older at the same rate – one year at a time.

Then comes Mr Khaw. He told a wonderful story of how Ms Tin’s grandmother fiercely defended thePAPand Lee Kuan Yew when some people made unfair comments that showed a lack of gratitude for what the party and the former Min Mentor had done.

Et tu Mr Khaw? Has she not been sabo-ed enough? Do you really think a story like this will endear?

All it tells us is that loyalty to the party will reap rewards to the third generation. Come on. Do we want die hardPAPfans, or do we want loyal Singaporeans with a clear eye to see what is not working, and an ear on the ground to hear the complaints without always pointing to past successes as evidence of present capabilities. And why mention Tin Pei Ling at all. I know there are many die hardPAPsupporters who do the same thing. Talk about THEM – let them feel you appreciate them.

Ms Tin, no matter how capable she is will find going forward extremely difficult. Mr Khaw’s statement is more damaging than helpful. Her marriage to the Principal Secretary of the PM already made the public scoff and cry out, “cronyism.” This eg that Mr Khaw cited gave further “proof” for those who love to hate Ms Tin.

Some people I know who are kind and gracious tell me that we should give her a chance. Frankly, I do not think the answer is really whether she is given a chance or not.

I know that even within the party, she is an embarrassment. I know that pro-opposition Singaporeans want to see her fail. Hence I feel sorry for her. BUT – she is paid too much for sympathy to stick.Singaporewas forced to give her chance, and the protests shout their displeasure at this.

Frankly, if I were Ms Tin, I will quietly serve my community, and keep as low a profile as possible. If I were Ms Tin, I will not stand for the next elections – no matter how good I am with the grassroots or how much I love serving the residents of my community.

If she is really sincere in wanting to serve the community, she will do better as a social worker and get the pay that these get. With a high flying husband, lack of salary should not cause too much pain. It will give her more credibility. Brush up on understanding why Singaporeans are unhappy and what are the policies that are failing. Come back again when she is more mature, if politics is really her game. Otherwise stay a social worker – there is a desperate need for them.
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
Spakase

Wah lau eh, catch no ball. Khaw say what huh? Anyone want to say tin tin good gotta be from the other side.
Now little children can stamp their feet and whine "I don know what to say", and we all listen to the innocent voices. Goodluck to anyone who think they can change this image.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
globalcookie
Dragon

I do feel sorry for TPL, but hey hey, she created this herself.

The PAP thinks people are stupid, maybe to them, we are! The majority of pple in Marine Parade didn't seems convinced enough to switch votes, so those who voted, have in some ways endorsed TPL (even if it was because their MPs did a gd job).

PAP trying to show they are hip and happening... really, too happening. We are still shock shelled. Given that there was clear public outcry when they first intro TPL, they could have just taken her out. Give her 5yrs to serve at grassroot level, let her slowly surface over 5yrs, before fielding her could help. Too bad, PAP believes in short cut.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
therat
Arofanatic

believe short cut is 1 thing.

Believe that we still take in whatever they say , whatever they do.
If they say.. this person good. We has to take.
Some more in Ah Goh GRC , they confident sure win. No need to fight.
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
aromatix
Dragon

Nicole Seah was a coup for the opposition - I was really hoping she would get into Parliament as an NMP.

Tin Pei Ling sadly started off on the wrong foot - it's gonna take a lot of undoing to right it.

Funny thing is, I know there are many more potentially good candidates with more maturity and conviction amongst the PAP grassroots - did the party miss them? what sort of selection process do they do? is there a patronizing culture? is meritocracy preached but not practiced?
aromatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aromatix View Post
Nicole Seah was a coup for the opposition - I was really hoping she would get into Parliament as an NMP.
Funny thing is, I know there are many more potentially good candidates with more maturity and conviction amongst the PAP grassroots - did the party miss them?
Nicole Seah... unless the party wakes up and group their best into 1 team, they won't likely win in any GRCs (scattered like monkeys of a falling tree).

Criterior ah.... (1) YES Man. (2) YES Women. (3) YES YES YES...
Old 01-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
aromatix
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post

Criterior ah.... (1) YES Man. (2) YES Women. (3) YES YES YES...
ah YES, this will be the beginning of a slide ....
aromatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Tin Pei Ling is just totally wrong... true cock and bull material if u ask me.
BubbleBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
kpchua
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aromatix View Post
Funny thing is, I know there are many more potentially good candidates with more maturity and conviction amongst the PAP grassroots - did the party miss them? what sort of selection process do they do? is there a patronizing culture? is meritocracy preached but not practiced?
Ya, so few days ago they announced someone new to spearhead the recruitment process of candidates for the next GE.....
kpchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by therat View Post
Some more in Ah Goh GRC , they confident sure win. No need to fight.
This GE proved, the threat is real, that GRC was shaken with below 60% voting for PAP. So that was a clear sign, the pple there are not accepting that PAP make a mockery out of them by throwing in someone many pple (before nomination day) already voiced out not wanting to see..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpchua View Post
Ya, so few days ago they announced someone new to spearhead the recruitment process of candidates for the next GE.....
I wonder what difference that will make.... will we see another TPL kind of material?