Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Pikapig
Dragon

Default 1.5ft tank

I have done a planted tank many years back but picking up the hobby only now where i have a little more spare time. This round, i decided to not include any soil as base. The last round when cleaning out the tank was really a nightmare especially when the soil break down...

Without soil base, guess i can only keep it low tech...

I had quite a fair bit of gravels and stones left over from my tanga setup..so making use of them, i decided to do a simple rock scape tank

Pikapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Pikapig
Dragon

Most of the items are left over from my main cichlid tank...the under gravel filter was kept in my storeroom for a long period, so decided to bring it to proper use..
Was hoping to conceal it with either plants of bigger rocks...

For a start, i choose mini nana and moss for the tank

Old 07-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Pikapig
Dragon

The initial setup as at day 3, no fishes or shrimps at the moment...still thinking of how to bring out the plants and rocks...i had a few larger rocks...probably will try it over the weekend to get it in place.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Sorry, i'm curious. Is the asymmetrical rock types intentional? Seems too varied to look natural.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
Pikapig
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Sorry, i'm curious. Is the asymmetrical rock types intentional? Seems too varied to look natural.
These are my left over from the tanga tank...if im not wrong..they are ada stones...think the smaller size ones that i bought many years back
Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
Pikapig
Dragon

I have some question here..do ppl dose fertilisers and excel for tank like this?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikapig View Post
I have some question here..do ppl dose fertilisers and excel for tank like this?
Depends on your flora, I guess, generally if it's low requirement plants, then usually no. I don't dose ferts for my outdoor moss tank.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
These are my left over from the tanga tank...if im not wrong..they are ada stones...think the smaller size ones that i bought many years back
Sorry, no offence. Your moss looks great, so does the gravel. I just feel that using a single rock type for the rest of the rockscape would make all 3 (moss, gravel and rockscape) stand out more individually and as a whole. Personal opinions only.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
Pikapig
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Sorry, no offence. Your moss looks great, so does the gravel. I just feel that using a single rock type for the rest of the rockscape would make all 3 (moss, gravel and rockscape) stand out more individually and as a whole. Personal opinions only.
I welcome comments...problem is, these are the mini rocks that i have...what are some of the single rock type that i can find?
Or do u mean i should just include 1 big rock?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
I welcome comments...problem is, these are the mini rocks that i have...what are some of the single rock type that i can find?
Or do u mean i should just include 1 big rock?
I'm no good with rock-type names though. I would think some medium height rocks with a few smaller pieces of the same rock type to accentuate the hardscape would look great, preferably of a different colour from the gravel.