Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 27-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
millenium
Senior Dragon

Default cannister filter problem

I just switch a canister filter previously for a 200L tank to a 70L tank. The filter will tend to give out rattling sound after operating for 1-2 hours. This seems to be due to the impeller working with less than optimal water level in the canister. At first I thought because I have placed the canister too high on a chair. But after I place it on the floor, the same problem persist. The impeller had just been replaced with a new one when I re operated it.

Could it be anything to do with the level of the inlet and outlet points in the tank, length of the hose or water level/tank volume, can anyone experienced with canister advice me?
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
warcraft168

Arofanatic

maybe the shaft was not inserted properly...
warcraft168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
millenium
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcraft168 View Post
maybe the shaft was not inserted properly...
The shaft for the impeller? It is properly fixed.
Old 28-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
LauLanChu
Dragon

You capped the impellor properly? The new bought impellor is original or cheong one? Do note the shaft length and wings length does matter. Anyway you can try back the old one?
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
millenium
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
You capped the impellor properly? The new bought impellor is original or cheong one? Do note the shaft length and wings length does matter. Anyway you can try back the old one?
Original. I bought from local distributor. It is a fluval. I suspect the hose are too long, I am waiting for more opinions before I decide if I should cut them to just nice length.
Old 28-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
shawnng79
Arofanatic

i have total of 4 canister, not fluval though, but Ejet.

I have 3 that run the full length, lazy to cut the hose and 1 that running at very short length.

2 x canister on right side and same height, placed about 1m away from the tank. 1 for top tank and 1 for bottom tank.

2 x canister next to left of tank, of which 1 x canister is for top tank and 1 x canister is just beside the bottom tank canister on a slightly raised floor.

Is a 2 tier stand so bottom tank height is about slightly more than 2 ft and top tank height at highest point is about 6ft

no such issue on all 4 canister. super quiet.

just curious, when you change the impeller, does it include the magnet? Maybe magnet not strong enough to hold impeller
shawnng79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
millenium
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnng79 View Post
i have total of 4 canister, not fluval though, but Ejet.

I have 3 that run the full length, lazy to cut the hose and 1 that running at very short length.

2 x canister on right side and same height, placed about 1m away from the tank. 1 for top tank and 1 for bottom tank.

2 x canister next to left of tank, of which 1 x canister is for top tank and 1 x canister is just beside the bottom tank canister on a slightly raised floor.

Is a 2 tier stand so bottom tank height is about slightly more than 2 ft and top tank height at highest point is about 6ft

no such issue on all 4 canister. super quiet.

just curious, when you change the impeller, does it include the magnet? Maybe magnet not strong enough to hold impeller
Yes it include the ceramic part that contain the magnet. It is very strong.

I may have to clean the hose to see if that works as I have not washed the hose ever before.
Old 28-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
shawnng79
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenium View Post
Yes it include the ceramic part that contain the magnet. It is very strong.

I may have to clean the hose to see if that works as I have not washed the hose ever before.
beside the hose, clean the inlet and outlet pipe too...

when you hear the noise, did you check if the canister is fully filled with water?
shawnng79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
millenium
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnng79 View Post
beside the hose, clean the inlet and outlet pipe too...

when you hear the noise, did you check if the canister is fully filled with water?
Very weird. I come back home then dare to turn on the canister filter because I can be nearby to monitor it. It works perfectly for 1-2 hours then it rattles again.
Dun seem like there is air in the filter, cos I draw the built in pump and no Bubbles come out.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
millenium
Senior Dragon

I want share my findings. I found the problem. When the filter is on, do not pump the primer, it will spoil the impeller. Also, do not forget to turn on the valve for the hose before you on the filter, if not impeller also will be damaged.