Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 25-04-2004, 11:32 AM   #1
slcw

Default moving house...chaning tank...need feedback

guys,

very shortly, i be moving to a condo.
my present 4ft which has 2 sides partitions for water return and outflow to
a sump is not suitable.

thinking to change into 5ft x 2ft or 2.5ft, but have the following constraints:
1. must change lightings
2. must change chiller (currently resun cl 280)
3. more additives and salt ...more cost.

i have browse books and mag...i have always prefer a "inshore, shallow water habitat" as John Tullock describes. He suggest a height of 18inches to 24 max and not to have high vertical relief of LR but rather patches of LR to replicate the inshore marine corals habitat which he further list the types of corals usually found in those areas.

it is interesting to note there are many types of reef we can dublicate such as the lagoon, barrier reef, forest reef, patch, sandy,etc and of course inshore.

he says must have strong lighting (MH i suppose - must change lighting...)

my wife is not keen i change as in the past 2years i have already change 3 types (from broken 4ft tank to new 4ft planted then to marine 4ft)

feedback need:
1. MH compare to PL; which brand of MH is better including casing ? and
sell me the idea (from a hobbyist to another) MH is better than PL

2. so if which to replicate a inshore shallow reef with patches of LR and corals..will a 18inch wide tank will do?

3. calcium reactor is it worth the hassle free maintenance of dosing vs the cost?

other info useful if u can conisder when u feedback:
current fish: 5 clowns, 1 bi-colour, 1 yellow tang, 1 sleeper head goby and 1
cleaner shrimp (wish to add mandrain, and cardinal)
corals: torch, hammer, octopus, bubble tip anemone, yellow polys, plate coral, button, mushroom, blue sponge
equipment: 6 x 36watts PL, chiller, sump (trickle) with LR as media, denitrator (love to have calicum reactors)

pls help buddies
Old 25-04-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
honkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcw
guys,

thinking to change into 5ft x 2ft or 2.5ft, but have the following constraints:
1. must change lightings
2. must change chiller (currently resun cl 280)
3. more additives and salt ...more cost.

feedback need:
You should check with deep_end on this as he's supplying a good brand of MH bulbs called XM. You can use industrial fittings as they cost a hell of a lot cheaper than commercial fittings.

Quote:
3. calcium reactor is it worth the hassle free maintenance of dosing vs the cost?
If you intend to keep SPS, then I think it's worth it as the high demands for calcium from SPS will force you to dose kalk everyday. For other types of corals, I don't think it's necessary to have a calcium reactor.
Old 26-04-2004, 01:15 PM   #3
deep_end

Steven,

1. Depending on what you intend to keep, it's quite subjective. Only thing is, if you use say 150W MH on a shallow tank, you can be sure that you can keep practically any soft and LPS corals. For SPS, you'd probably do better using 250W unless you want to place your SPS way up high. But in this case, they'll reach the surface too fast, spread out like a table, and shade the corals underneath.

2. For width, I always say go for the widest you can afford in terms of $$ and space. You won't regret the landscaping opportunities. Why do you think I used a 4'X4'? For height, if you're gonna use a DSB, try to aim for at least a 24" tall tank so you won't be left with just 12" of water height

3. Hon Kit (thanks bud) oledi answered.

Quote:
guys,

feedback need:

2. so if which to replicate a inshore shallow reef with patches of LR and corals..will a 18inch wide tank will do?

pls help buddies
Old 01-05-2004, 01:10 PM   #4
slcw

yes...would like 2.5 wide tank...but space and $$ is a factor.

if cange the cabinet and tank and MH it can come up to Rm3000+
4 x 2 x 2 (solid nyatoh)

moreover i have other renov to do in the new house.

if MH, where can u point to me as i can get industrial types?
Old 01-05-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
eiki

Quote:
my wife is not keen i change as in the past 2years i have already change 3 types (from broken 4ft tank to new 4ft planted then to marine 4ft)
Wives and girlfriends are NEVER keen when it comes to fish keeping.

Calcium reactor I think can put it off till when you have extra money to spare. Wait wife flair up ban you from having a tank. Just be more hardworking when dosing calcium and DIY a drip. Man these things dont come cheap. If wanna be lazy then have to spend a bomb to get equipments to do for you.

When I was keeping a planted also didnt spend on co2 cylinder. Just DIY and it serves the same purpose.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
slcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiki
Wives and girlfriends are NEVER keen when it comes to fish keeping.

Calcium reactor I think can put it off till when you have extra money to spare. Wait wife flair up ban you from having a tank. Just be more hardworking when dosing calcium and DIY a drip. Man these things dont come cheap. If wanna be lazy then have to spend a bomb to get equipments to do for you.

When I was keeping a planted also didnt spend on co2 cylinder. Just DIY and it serves the same purpose.
common sense - i agree with u
but i am tech freak.

lets see it the total (new tank, CR and MH) is within budget...if yes once and for all setup properly.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #7
slcw

now, i am considering 4 (H) x 2.5 (w) x 1.5 (H)
greater landscape.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:23 PM   #8
ReDDeviLs

wives and girlfriend will be much happier if you spend money on their shopping trip!
go for wider tank,its actually more important to be wider than longer..imo..
fishes can swim better..and you can arrange your liverock in such way that some light beam can shine into..try to have peaceful tank as your tank is big..you can add alot of fishes..but if you have fierce fishes..alot of nice fishes you can have..
remember to invest in a TOP quality SKIMMER!!maybe you need 2 if your fishes bioloads are heavy..like tangs..

im quite interested in the "the lagoon, barrier reef, forest reef, patch, sandy,etc and of course inshore."
anywhere i can read about this online?
Old 11-05-2004, 06:30 PM   #9
slcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDDeviLs
wives and girlfriend will be much happier if you spend money on their shopping trip!
go for wider tank,its actually more important to be wider than longer..imo..
fishes can swim better..and you can arrange your liverock in such way that some light beam can shine into..try to have peaceful tank as your tank is big..you can add alot of fishes..but if you have fierce fishes..alot of nice fishes you can have..
remember to invest in a TOP quality SKIMMER!!maybe you need 2 if your fishes bioloads are heavy..like tangs..

im quite interested in the "the lagoon, barrier reef, forest reef, patch, sandy,etc and of course inshore."
anywhere i can read about this online?
u r right...i too believe in wider tanks...hopefully the weight permits
My skimmer is good. I doubt i will change.

u r asking a question of online articles or u quoting?
Old 12-05-2004, 02:56 AM   #10
ReDDeviLs

im asking if anyone knows if where i can read about the difference between the lagoon, barrier reef, forest reef, patch, sandy,etc and of course inshore.
best if i can read them up online.