Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 18-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #71
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy07 View Post
Hi JadeIceGreen,

Do you just throw the wafer and carnivore pellets into the tank whole, or do you break them up into smaller pieces first? As corys have tiny mouths, will they be able eat easily? Thanks.
Hey fishy07, I throw them whole as the pellets will become soft after a while and the Corydoras are able to eat them.
Old 18-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #72
fishy07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
Hey fishy07, I throw them whole as the pellets will become soft after a while and the Corydoras are able to eat them.
Ok thanks.
Old 18-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #73
JadeIceGreen

Update
Sorry for the lack of updates this week as I was overseas.

After the sand is washed, it is scooped into the tank. It sure feels and looks like ice cream but it certainly does not taste like it! The pre-washed sand is easy to handle and when the tank is filled, it will not float in the water column.

Sand is scooped from my washing tub into the tank.

The sand is then spread out to form the substrate.

If you have an existing tank, it is important to use part of, if not all the substrate from the existing tank to the new one. This will help the filter establish its bacteria colony in a shorter span of time since there are lots of bacteria in the substrate. When the existing substrate is made up of soil instead of sand, it may than be wise to use new soil instead, as the existing soil will have lesser nutrients than new soil. Some aquascapers like to use existing soil as the base of the new substrate in their new tank, they will then pour new soil on top of this base.

I am fishing my Corydoras out so that I can empty my existing tank of its sand.

Corydoras always keep the substrate extremely clean with all their digging.

This sand from my existing tank is added into the new tank and a spoon is used to push the sand towards the back wall, this will create a gentle slope from back to front
Old 19-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #74
JadeIceGreen

Update

Now that the substrate is established, its time to lay the hardscape. I tend not to think too much or do any planning in advance and will just 'go with the flow'. I will be using wood from the existing tank together with some new wood that has been pre-soaked.

I like to use a lot of wood in my aquascapes if my scape resolves around wood. What new aquascapers usually make a mistake in, is the lack of enough hardscape when they are building a hardscape centric design, for example an Iwagumi. In an Iwagumi, the stone needs to be big enough to dominate the aquascape. In a wood centric aquascape, the wood used should ideally fill up the length and height of the tank. Plants are usually supporting roles in these aquascapes and are used to highlight the hardscape.

I got my extra wood from my father-in-law's tank. Here I am cleaning and brushing off the algae and other weird stuffs.

Old 19-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #75
JadeIceGreen

I was surfing the internet and I found a nice aquascape that looks like what I want to do for my future big tank. I like it, but if it is on a bigger scale, it will have more impact in the dark mood that it conveys. Slow swimming fish will be awesome for such a scape.

Old 22-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #76
Wings

Hi Jade,

Out of Topic, I notice you read Warhammer 40K....We have another similar hobby bro

You're usual read are Horus Heresy or Adaptus Astates Chapters ?

Anyway, I'm pretty sick of my current aquascape (which is about 4 years). I just told my wife that I might wanna rescape again...its gonna take me a week off from work...heehee....
Old 22-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #77
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

JIG, you scared me with your last pic.. tot your finished set up looks so big.. haha
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #78
Bettas4life

updates bro.. interesting setup you got there
Old 22-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #79
yeoyl87

sterbai are pretty fun to keep. Especially you start to see little ones swimming around
Old 23-03-2010, 01:27 AM   #80
reborn4ever

Nice.. Hope to see your update soon..