Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 23-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
af2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
some of the plants you got are not fully submerged plants. they will melt away if fully submerged.

sorry for being direct here but i got a feeling that you didnt plan your scape in the initial stage. you have quite afew sp. of foreground plants which will "clash" with each other once they start spreading.

it will be great to have one focus plant (eg a red plant) as the main focal point. try keep to no more than 4 sp. of plants in your tank to avoid the "rojak" look.

i made the same mistake as you when i just started with planted tank by trying out too many sp. at one go.
nod nod. think bro heuer is right. u gotta to plan out what plants u wan as foregrd, mid grd n backgrd. newbies tend to go for variety n colourful stem plants....many times, they turn out to become tall tall beanstalks in the tank when they cant get lights....

another thing, try growing yr plants in smaller bunches....so small and numerous that your back aches.....then u succeed liao
Old 23-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #22
Heuer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by af2373 View Post
tell me abt the road.....wahahaha~~~ most of us will go thru that.
take what the shops tell u with a pinch of salt.....

yr tank is 6ft long. try putting yr hands on the other end of the tank to see if you can feel the current now. do it again when it's heavily planted. cycle per hour is 1 thing.....in actual practice, theory may not work. wahaha~~ that;s just me.

just post more pics n we'll help u out as u get along.

i am super god damn tempted to start planted again!!! a 4ft in my new hse but my OC is not easy get around. haiz~~~~
Just tell you OC, you want me to keep fish at home or mermaid outside.....
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #23
alvloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by af2373 View Post
tell me abt the road.....wahahaha~~~ most of us will go thru that.
take what the shops tell u with a pinch of salt.....

yr tank is 6ft long. try putting yr hands on the other end of the tank to see if you can feel the current now. do it again when it's heavily planted. cycle per hour is 1 thing.....in actual practice, theory may not work. wahaha~~ that;s just me.

just post more pics n we'll help u out as u get along.

i am super god damn tempted to start planted again!!! a 4ft in my new hse but my OC is not easy get around. haiz~~~~
Lucky my OC enjoyed the tank too....hehehe Lucky me...

I have another smaller canister 1200l/hr that I had standby if the flow is not enough. Please give me all the comments & advices n "we'll never walk alone...." (Me Liverpool....)
Old 23-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #24
af2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvloh View Post
Thanks for the advice bro...but can let me know which is which cos I really have no ideas at all...pai say.. I just plant according to "feel" hehehe...

eg, which will clash so it's better to split them apart...etc..

Some of the plants really melted away..like the colourful red & green/white plants..... **sad**
u will love it as u go along.....trust me. when i first started i was so upset that i could not sleep or eat....wahaha~~~ this hobby needs patience lor

stem plants are an art to keep. red stem plants is a science. i cannot handle them. after a while they become deformed and start to grow like trees reaching all the way to the top.
Old 23-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #25
Heuer
Dragon

[QUOTE=alvloh;8287349]Very nice & bright coloured plants but it actually melts off in 4-5days times....
On CO2 and lights for 6 hours aday doesn't help....

I am quite sure these plants has already melted away.
Old 23-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #26
af2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
Just tell you OC, you want me to keep fish at home or mermaid outside.....
she will tell me to KHK. end of story.

Old 23-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #27
af2373

[QUOTE=Heuer;8287414]
Quote:
I am quite sure these plants has already melted away.
i also bet my money on this. the fallen leaves are floating all over the tank....

Old 23-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #28
Heuer
Dragon

Quote:
Thanks for the advice bro...but can let me know which is which cos I really have no ideas at all...pai say.. I just plant according to "feel" hehehe...

eg, which will clash so it's better to split them apart...etc..

Some of the plants really melted away..like the colourful red & green/white plants..... **sad**
just imagine your hair grass, HC and glosso all fighting for space. it will give you a rojak look. just go with one forground plant will do.

for a start, you need to understand the requirement of plants you plan to grow. from there, you setup the equipment needed for them to grow. eg if you plan to grow HC, you need high light and CO2. if plan to grow nana or fern, low light and without CO2 will do.

planning right from the start is impt for planted tank.
Old 23-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #29
af2373

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

try this....quite informative
Old 23-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #30
eviltrain

Normally when the manufacturer indicate that the flow rate is 1500LPH, it means when there is no media in the canister. after adding media into the canister ( depends on how you arrange them ), the flow rate will drop 1/4- 1/3 or 1125 or 1000 litres per hour.

for your case, your flow rate might be 2 times per hour only.

months later, the accumulated dirt in canister will hinder the flow further and your flow rate might be 1/2 or 750LPH

just me 1/2 cent