Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 23-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #61
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Is there a quick and fast way to identify true aquatic plants, short of asking the LFS staff? I was thinking it's the way the plants are attached to the DW. Noticed that the terrestrial plants are attached to the DW by drilling a hole thru the DW, then the plants are inserted in. I would hazard a guess that some silicon would be used inside the DW to hold the plant in place and once the silicon dries, the plant would be permanently "rooted" to the driftwood. The next time I go shopping for anymore aquatic plants, I'm only going to buy those with the roots firmly rooted to the DW and open for inspection.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #62
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

no hard or easy way...
know the plants that you are buying and not buy blindly.. :P
if in doubt, don't buy, take photo and ask forum people.. or if you go to LFS that got good shop keepers, then can ask them.
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #63
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
no hard or easy way...
know the plants that you are buying and not buy blindly.. :P
if in doubt, don't buy, take photo and ask forum people.. or if you go to LFS that got good shop keepers, then can ask them.
As much as i'd like to do that, i'm one of those rare breeds that don't carry camera phones nor compact digital cams... Lol... Will look funny if I take out my SLR everytime I need a plant ID-ed... Sooner or later find my pic pasted outside the LFS entrance with the red circle and diagonal line over my face. I wanted to buy some crypts, but was stymied by the sheer number of different ones I found from Google... Lol... Now I can't really confirm which plants are which.
Old 23-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #64
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

hehe
then bring a friend with plant knowledge along.. ;P
buy that friend lunch ... :P
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #65
burntrubber
Dragon

Actually there aren't many types of aquatic plant that is sold tied to wood. You can google for them

Anubias - Many types to choose from, outside C328 you can find some that are labelled.

Java fern - A few variants like normal java, philippines, windluv, narrow leave java.

Mosses and fissiden.

These are all not exactly aquatic plant but can adapt to fully aquatic conditions. They can also live in semi dry conditions too.

Go to http://www.tropica.com/home.aspx
They have better explanations.

Currently I see alot of stem plants or forground plants being sold tied to blocks of wood or SS mesh.
burntrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #66
sfk7
Arofanatic

Hi jon-san. You can approach c328 auntie and tell that you would like to order plants. She would give you the oriental handbook which is a catalogue of aquatic pkants with their names. You can write the codes of your desired plants and collect the next day most probably.

However crypts will be a challenge to differentiate if you order pots that are similar such as wendtii, lutea and those with similar leaves. Cos it'll be bundled in one plastic bag. But if you do your research it should still be distinguished.

Hope this helps.
sfk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #67
sfk7
Arofanatic

Another good site will be mizuworld.com. Their catalogue is rather comprehensive with pictures. Most in emersed form which is what you'll get when you purchase from them or LFS
sfk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #68
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Thanks to bros burntrubber, sfk7 and fireblade, for your tips. Will store the links in my bookmarks!
Old 24-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #69
JadeIceGreen

For me, I will find an LFS that I can trust. I will ask for only aquatic plants.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #70
peanut8787
Arofanatic

Nice Cory tank you got there. Aren't you thinking of using any oyama?
peanut8787 is offline   Reply With Quote