Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 17-08-2003, 01:17 AM   #31
ken_yg

Quote:
Originally posted by agitato
i'm using the normal daylight tube 36W by Osram, it is bright yes but everything looks washed out

thanks for the contact bro ken, anyway where's the location of this shop?

i'm also considering getting arcadia freshwater tube or the original tropical tube. any comments on that?
U saw the effect of full spectrum CRI 90% lighting. That's suppose to be quite close to sunlight, yet the results on red is disappointing. I think tropical white lighting is not practical for red aro. No fluorescent lighting can duplicate the spectrum of actual sunlight (base on my current limited knowledge). The way the sunlight reflection on red aro scale is a beauty itself.

I would said the best combination for viewing red aro is still the red/red PL fluorescent & Nan light. The effect is dazzling itself, though not the true colour, it is a beautiful combination. The combination give effect of naturalness & also accentuate the red coloration of red aro. For those aro yet to attain nice coloration, the combination of these lighting will be a motivation & reward for our hardwork.

Old 17-08-2003, 01:26 AM   #32
ken_yg

Default Another pic with R/R PL & Nan

This is another shot with PL R/R 55W & Nan lighting. Isn't it beautiful. It is also bright enough for clear flashless shooting.
We can add TFC, Zoo flora, etc. Then the tank top got just that little space. Of course how the aro look in pic will also depend which lighting aro is closer to.

Old 17-08-2003, 01:36 AM   #33
ken_yg

Default Sun-tanning lighting for aro .....

Which light for sun-tanning of aro? Many here used daylight, tropical daylight, etc. I think these light are horrible for red. It make aro very sick looking.
The full spectrum could be a good light for tanning due to it brightness, but my choice is still the CR aquarium red/white PL fluorescent. See the intensity of lighting on aro back on the pic below? Still got doubt? This is just PL 36W. If using the 2' CR fitting with PL 55W, & double the lighting row, the effect will be tremendous.
Note the nice coloration on fins.

Old 17-08-2003, 10:53 AM   #34
Alan Koh

Hi ken_yg

Nice information and very nice of you sharing wif us the effects of lighting on Reds.

I am also keen in trying out the various lighting effects on Reds.

More then to agree is the point on:
"This lighting will be perfect : natural & PL 55W red/red"

For Displaying Red:
Natural sunlights coming into the room from the windows + a set of Arcadia Original Tropical tubes on top of the tank (not refering to submerged lighting, ie NAN Light), is my currecnt choice of displaying my red.

For Tanning:
I am still wondering if MH lights will be good for tanning the fish. Becos of the high price of MH lights, I am holding back this choice. See those Japanese are using MH, wonder if it really helps in red development.
Nevertheless, I think best light for tanning reds is non other the our free Natural Sunlight.

Regards,
Alan Koh

Old 17-08-2003, 11:11 AM   #35
agitato
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Koh
Hi ken_yg
For Displaying Red:
Natural sunlights coming into the room from the windows + a set of Arcadia Original Tropical tubes on top of the tank (not refering to submerged lighting, ie NAN Light), is my currecnt choice of displaying my red.

bro alan, by a set of Arcadia tubes, how many tubes of FL do u mean? single or double?
Old 17-08-2003, 12:36 PM   #36
Xx{-_-}xX
Dragon

Bro Ken, very gd info.. thanks.

Bro.. sorry to distrub yr thread abit.... Just like to Know frm wat size or age can start to tan the aro.. pls?

If say its 5 inch can tan or risky??

Thanks...
Old 17-08-2003, 01:19 PM   #37
ken_yg

Quote:
Originally posted by Xx{-_-}xX
Bro Ken, very gd info.. thanks.

Bro.. sorry to distrub yr thread abit.... Just like to Know frm wat size or age can start to tan the aro.. pls?

If say its 5 inch can tan or risky??

Thanks...
I don't really believe in tanning aro other than giving aro sufficient ligthing to develop proper slime coating on the back. Shermie posted about lighting, vitamins conversion on scales & slime coating sometimes back. As such strong lighting does help in keeping aro healthy. At current moment, I just give enough light for aro growth & viewing. A light that can penetrate & just reach the base of tank will be good enough for fishes. No fish is too young for bright light. Too much light also heat up the tank & cooler or fan may be needed. Ideally, try to use as much of natural lighting for red. Keep the tank cooler & save $. Of course I'm also learning here.

Old 17-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #38
ken_yg

Wish we got sunlight in the night too, esle must change work routine - permanent nightshift!
I'm looking for a light that will bring out the naturalness of red aro - nice red coloration. Was also looking at metal-halide range. So far those I seen are too bright & will cause more heating if just place on top of tank. Hopefully one day we will get to see metal halide around 25W. In the meanwhile, the PL range are lighting the aro tank nicely. It is also not expensive compare with those branded aquarium fluorescent. Thus making it possible for this little experiement.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Koh
Hi ken_yg

Nice information and very nice of you sharing wif us the effects of lighting on Reds.

I am also keen in trying out the various lighting effects on Reds.

More then to agree is the point on:
"This lighting will be perfect : natural & PL 55W red/red"

For Displaying Red:

For Tanning:
I am still wondering if MH lights will be good for tanning the fish. Becos of the high price of MH lights, I am holding back this choice. See those Japanese are using MH, wonder if it really helps in red development.
Nevertheless, I think best light for tanning reds is non other the our free Natural Sunlight.

Regards,
Alan Koh

Old 17-08-2003, 01:37 PM   #39
ken_yg

Default Natural lighting still the best for aro ...

Must agree on this. Look at this aro pic taken this morning. Just natural light & the shine is fanstatic. Of course it will be really fanstatic if aro got those thin red rims to shown.

Old 17-08-2003, 01:41 PM   #40
ken_yg

Default Also Natural lighting .....

Another angle, another coloration. Nice blue now.