Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Product Reviews

Old 22-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Default 250W DE MH Hood from DE Lightings

Some details abt this MH Hood

Powder-coated galvanised steel casing
Parabolic aluminium reflector
Ceramic FC2 bulb holder
4mm tempered glass protection
2-3m of electrical cord

When I first saw the hood, I'm impressed with the special design of the parabolic reflector. Its built much better than those regular hammertone reflectors by minimising lost of light due to angles of the reflector.

IMO, its quite heavy considering that the ballast is remote. Most of the weight should be contributed by the tempered glass and steel casing.

I find Double Ended (DE) hoods have several advantages after trying both Single Ended (SE) & DE configurations.

DE actually emits much less heat than SE. The tempered glass actually shields and trap the heat within the hood. You can put yr hand under the DE hood while working whereas SE will burn yr hands within secs.

DE will mimimise light lost. SE parabolic reflectors can spread the light over wider areas but in fact alot of light is lost at the tip of bulb where its not covered by the reflector.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Ventilation slots were made to allow passive cooling. Brackets were also included for easy mounting. The hood can be tilted by adjusting the brackets, this would allow greater flexibility in light distribution.
Old 22-03-2005, 01:03 AM   #3
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Despite having a good design, there were some points that can be improved.

Firstly, the hood is very hot! Due to the enclosed hood, heat only can escape mainly from the ventilation slots. The passive cooling are not able to cool the hood to a comfortable temperature to touch. Fans should be installed to blow air out of the ventilation slots, that would also further reduce the heat gain by tank water.

The hoods were mounted on a aluminium L bar with 2 stainless steel screws. The heat from the hood is enough to heat up the entire L bar despite having the small contact points by the screws.

Another issue is the uneven light distribution. I noticed that the light emitted are more focused. The reflector spreads the light over a wider area at the ends. If the hood were to be mounted like mine, the light coverage would be wider along the length of the tank but not enough to cover the full 2.5ft width from back to the front.

Despite of being hot to touch, this hood actually reduced the run time of the chiller by trapping heat within the hood. Overall its a well made product with sufficient rust protection, good quality reflector and a nice looking design!
Old 22-03-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
nicky30092002

Tats a quite a detail review, & the MH looks good too ...
Envy Envy ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™
Some details abt this MH Hood

Powder-coated galvanised steel casing
Parabolic aluminium reflector
Ceramic FC2 bulb holder
4mm tempered glass protection
2-3m of electrical cord

When I first saw the hood, I'm impressed with the special design of the parabolic reflector. Its built much better than those regular hammertone reflectors by minimising lost of light due to angles of the reflector.

IMO, its quite heavy considering that the ballast is remote. Most of the weight should be contributed by the tempered glass and steel casing.

I find Double Ended (DE) hoods have several advantages after trying both Single Ended (SE) & DE configurations.

DE actually emits much less heat than SE. The tempered glass actually shields and trap the heat within the hood. You can put yr hand under the DE hood while working whereas SE will burn yr hands within secs.

DE will mimimise light lost. SE parabolic reflectors can spread the light over wider areas but in fact alot of light is lost at the tip of bulb where its not covered by the reflector.
Old 24-03-2005, 02:15 AM   #5
ReDDeviLs

seems like ben's mh got more Ventilation.
Old 24-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
nicky30092002

wa sey compare ventilation, might as well buy spider reflector SE no casing .. lagi liang ..
Old 25-03-2005, 01:33 AM   #7
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky30092002
wa sey compare ventilation, might as well buy spider reflector SE no casing .. lagi liang ..
Alot of light is lost through the lobangs also .. its kinda tradeoff
Old 25-03-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
dr evil

Quote:
Alot of light is lost through the lobangs also .. its kinda tradeoff

boss,

got ur side cover since u wanna modify. btw, blowing the MH directly with a fan is not a good idea.

Those MH that have a built in fan normal comes with built in ballast. The fan is actually to reduce the heat from the ballast.

If u observe the german or us pendants, they seldom comes with built fans.

And also, fan will produce a slight noise and it will need maintaince (wear n tear).

my 2 cents
Old 25-03-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr evil
boss,

got ur side cover since u wanna modify. btw, blowing the MH directly with a fan is not a good idea.

Those MH that have a built in fan normal comes with built in ballast. The fan is actually to reduce the heat from the ballast.

If u observe the german or us pendants, they seldom comes with built fans.

And also, fan will produce a slight noise and it will need maintaince (wear n tear).

my 2 cents
I dont intend to blow the MH but to suck the hot air out.
Old 25-03-2005, 02:55 PM   #10
dr evil

Quote:
I dont intend to blow the MH but to suck the hot air out.
than its ok....