Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 09-07-2003, 10:28 AM   #61
babyworm

After about 2 1/2 weeks, my tank with the GF etc is super cloudy... it is milky and you can't really see thru it, but when you look closely at the water, there ain't big particles in them... is this normal and should I just wait or change part of the water?

I've got a Seachem Ammonia Alert and it has been yellow (ok) since I bought it. Don't have the rest of the rest kits so wondering if I should just be patient...

My other tank with the LH is still very clear on the other hand after almost one month. It has never gotten cloudy in the first place... so I'm wondering if it really has been cycled?!

How to tell without having to purchase those expensive test kits??

Old 09-07-2003, 10:44 PM   #62
kettler

hi arrowana boi.....i have a problem with my PH in my 5 ft....the ph reading is @7.5.................i try all those thing like adding PH down,throw 1pck of ketapang leaf and some water change but the PH just wont go down and it's only make my water turn dark..............i'am using a sump tank consis of 2 pck bio ball,3kg sintered glass and 3kg ceramic ring without coral chips.......... my tank just been cycle about 1 mth and i only monitor the PH level only cause that what i practice on my 1st aro and it's doing fine till now.........my water is clear but dark because of the ketapang leaf......btw my tap water reading @PH 7.7 today tested.
Questian is>
1)Do i have to bring down my PH and how?
2)Can i change my cotton wool during cycled?
3)Do u thing it's good to introduce my aro at this state?
4)Do i need to put coral chips into my sump tank?

Tank consis of 1 motoro ray,1 IT and 6 SD.

Old 10-07-2003, 01:01 AM   #63

Default Interesting information regarding initiating biofiltration

http://66.33.42.245/articles/startup.html

Old 11-07-2003, 12:37 PM   #64
JAAR

Quote:
Originally posted by kettler
hi arrowana boi.....i have a problem with my PH in my 5 ft....the ph reading is @7.5.................i try all those thing like adding PH down,throw 1pck of ketapang leaf and some water change but the PH just wont go down and it's only make my water turn dark..............i'am using a sump tank consis of 2 pck bio ball,3kg sintered glass and 3kg ceramic ring without coral chips.......... my tank just been cycle about 1 mth and i only monitor the PH level only cause that what i practice on my 1st aro and it's doing fine till now.........my water is clear but dark because of the ketapang leaf......btw my tap water reading @PH 7.7 today tested.
Questian is>

From my earlier questions to Arowana Boi, seems that you tank is cycled and I do not see why you cant introduce your aro. My question, check the ph of water your aro currently in. If the ph is almost the same, your aro will not have any ph shock shou,d you introduce to the new cycled tank.

A further note, rays are more sensitive to water parameters. If your ray is active and appetite is good, the water parameters should be fine.

Coral chips will only increase your ph. As long as the ph is stable and at 7-7.5, I dun think your aro will not thrive in the new tank.

In respect of changing wool, I would advise to clean current wool with the tank's water as cleaning with tap water will kill all the BBs in the wool. If your sump system is working fine, I dun see why you need to clean the wool as the tank is still not fully matured. Most of the BBs are in the wool filteration.

My 2 cents.

Old 12-07-2003, 07:36 PM   #65
GreenTea
Senior Dragon

bros,

after one week of tank cycling, the readings are...

nh3/nh4:1.5-3.0mg/l
no2: 1.6-3.0mg/l
no3: 25mg/l

from wat i know, ammonia is suppose to be zero b4 no2 forms... am i right to say tat?? but y isit so tat my ammonia is still high?? am i feeding too much??

and should i change water since no3 is starting to get high??

wat should i do?? pls advice..thanx!!
Old 12-07-2003, 07:44 PM   #66
GreenTea
Senior Dragon

to add, the ph has dropped from a 8.3 to 6.5 within one week..

thanx
Old 13-07-2003, 11:20 AM   #67
ccplim

Toay is the 15th day since i started my cycling. Just tested the water last might n here is what i get.

Water condition : slightly cloudy
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0.25mg
Nitrate : did not test as i have not get the test kit
PH : have been at 7.8 for the past 1 week

Just wondering are the readings okay? I guessed my main problem now is how to bring down the PH level.

Just checked PH at 11.20am (13/7). It jump up to 7.9 again

Last edited by ccplim; 13-07-2003 at 12:21 PM.

Old 13-07-2003, 09:07 PM   #68
red2

Quote:
Originally posted by kwonghui
Hi Arrowana Boi,

My 6ft tank is cycling for almost a month. Here's the water parameter:

Day 24 May 15
pH 6.4 kH 0 gH<3
NO2 5 NO3 25 Ammonia 5-10

Day 26 May 17
Change 10-15% water
pH 6.4 kH 6 gH<3
NO2 10 NO3 25 Ammonia 5

Do you have any further advise? In the tank are 1 x 10" RTG, and 2 Silver$.

Best Regards,
Kwong Hui
bro Kwong Hui,

having troubles mesuring high values, can share wat test kits r u using ?
JBL n Tetra NO2 can not measure values beyong 1ppm.

Old 14-07-2003, 02:03 AM   #69
Arrowana Boi
Dragon

Default Re: EFIsubstrate

Quote:
Originally posted by red2
HI Arowana Boi,

10Q for your reply.

some bros here put zeolite or coral in a container and place it at the bottom of the tank, is it advisable to do the same for EFI substrate, will BB still cultivate ? actually r there any BB living in the tank water ?

If I am using OHF box, what will u recommend the types of media below the wools; top layer is white then green ? is it oK with just EFI substarte wiithout ceramic rings ?

HI sorry for the late reply, been busy with work lately.

Ok, i would think that it would be a better idea to put the Ehfi Substrat in the filter instead of jus putting it in a box and laying at the bottom of the tank. The aim is to let as much water flow through these media as possible so that the BB present in these medias can break down the harmful chemicals. And yes, to a certain extent there is BB moving freely in the tank water.

Coral chips are used as buffers but please do so moderately and gradually so as not to raise the pH too high and too quickly.

As for zeolite, i wll recommend against it if u are planning to cycle ur tank and let ur filtration be a mechanical and biological one.
If u intend to keep ur filtration system to be a fully chemical one then its ok to use zeolite but remember to discard them after certain time.

For OHF, its ok to use jus ehfi substrat w/o the ceramic rings since u have not much space to play around in the first place. Ceramic ring is used to filter large debris and create eddies for more even water distribution. Usually its used as the very first stage of filtration in a canister filter.
Old 14-07-2003, 02:16 AM   #70
Arrowana Boi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by kettler
Questian is>

HI bro kettler, from wat i know,

1. As long as ur aro seems fine, u dont have to bring down the pH of the water. Different area's water have slightly different pH level. As long as there isnt a large disparity on the pH of the water of a new aro on introduction to its new tank, everything will be fine. I would advise againts bringing pH level up or down chemically.

2. During cycling period please dont wash or change ur filter wool as at that stage most BB is sited there. In fact its got more BB there then in the sintered glass e.g ehfi substrat. So if u wash or change ur filter wool during the cycling period, its as good as doing the cycle all over again.

3. No i dont think its good to introduce ur aro into the tank during the cycling period unless u have no choice. By then, u will have to cycle ur tank using another method/program. It takes way much more time but its safer. Not totally safe, but jus safer.

4. U can put coral chips into ur sump tank, will advise u to do so after the cycling period as things will not be too complicated. We will wanna check the real pH level of the water during the cycle period that isnt altered by the coral chips.

Perhaps, u might wanna read page one of this thread for more understanding on water chemistry and the method for cycling. Bro jaar is using a dsump tank. All the questions he posted and my answers are in this thread. Do read it up for better understanding

Good Luck