Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 16-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
David Lim

Default Water Hardness for shrimps

Hi bro,

Just to check, your water hardness for you CRS shrimps.

I check a lot and saw a lot, i try to lower the GH to 4 but according to API test kit, the ppm for GH 4 is about 71.6, but the recommended ppm is said to be 140 to 200 ppm which is about 8 to 12 GH.

So which is which? Can anyone advise as my CRS is dying fast.
Old 16-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Xmant
Dragon

Shrimp dying could be due to many reasons. Just a thumb of rule, to get shrimp thrive and breeding, you need to get close to all parameters correct. If u fail in any of the parameters, do not need to be many, your shrimp may not be able to thrive well.

From my past experience, a newbie tank may last 3-4mths. Thereafter, problems may start to surface. That is the challenge! Learn from your past mistake, you will become a better breeder.
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
ismification

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lim View Post
I check a lot and saw a lot, i try to lower the GH to 4 but according to API test kit, the ppm for GH 4 is about 71.6, but the recommended ppm is said to be 140 to 200 ppm which is about 8 to 12 GH.

From my understanding, TDS and GH measure different things. So gh 4 does not necessarily mean ppm is 71.6. They measure different things so you can't just measure TDS and derive GH from that. So it is possible to have BOTH gh 4 and ppm 140-200 ppm.

Also, like bro Xmant said, there could be many other causes like temp/improper cycle/etc.

I hope you find out what is wrong so you can save the remaining CRS. Good luck!
Old 16-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Hi bro,

Just to check, your water hardness for you CRS shrimps.

PPM refers to TDS and it comprises not only the GH component but other dissolved material.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
David Lim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmant View Post
Shrimp dying could be due to many reasons. Just a thumb of rule, to get shrimp thrive and breeding, you need to get close to all parameters correct. If u fail in any of the parameters, do not need to be many, your shrimp may not be able to thrive well.

From my past experience, a newbie tank may last 3-4mths. Thereafter, problems may start to surface. That is the challenge! Learn from your past mistake, you will become a better breeder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismification View Post
From my understanding, TDS and GH measure different things. So gh 4 does not necessarily mean ppm is 71.6. They measure different things so you can't just measure TDS and derive GH from that. So it is possible to have BOTH gh 4 and ppm 140-200 ppm.

Also, like bro Xmant said, there could be many other causes like temp/improper cycle/etc.

I hope you find out what is wrong so you can save the remaining CRS. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
PPM refers to TDS and it comprises not only the GH component but other dissolved material.
Thanks you guys~!!

So does it mean that even my GH =8 and all other parameters normal, when i see a molted shell and the next day a shrimp died it can mean that the TDS is not enuff and I can add in mosura mineral plus?

Pls advise, cause i suddenly feel like a noob and feeling lost.

Thanks~!
Old 18-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Thanks you guys~!!

So does it mean that even my GH =8 and all other parameters normal, when i see a molted shell and the next day a shrimp died it can mean that the TDS is not enuff and I can add in mosura mineral plus?

Pls advise, cause i suddenly feel like a noob and feeling lost.

Thanks~!
for your case, keep GH at 3 to 5, that will be easier for you since you are a beginner, if cannot molt well, it could be damaged shrimp or bad water quality. Improve your water quality is the next best thing you can do.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
David Lim

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
for your case, keep GH at 3 to 5, that will be easier for you since you are a beginner, if cannot molt well, it could be damaged shrimp or bad water quality. Improve your water quality is the next best thing you can do.
Okay.. Will try to keep the shrimps going. Many thanks silane.
Old 18-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
Xmant
Dragon

David, sometime shrimp could be vulnerable to attack from other shrimps after it molted. The shrimp will be weak at this stage and their haven't hardened shelf made them an easy target.
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
David Lim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmant View Post
David, sometime shrimp could be vulnerable to attack from other shrimps after it molted. The shrimp will be weak at this stage and their haven't hardened shelf made them an easy target.
With respect Xmant bro, I had never heard of such issues or encounter with such problem as I see shrimps getting on the back of another shrimp as an act of breeding and not attacking.

I think i will pay more attention and watch for 'shrimp attacks' maybe it is why my shrimps died one after another everytime i see a molted shell in my tank.

Thanks~!