Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 14-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
radiolite22

Exclamation Long crack lines appear upon filling up of "new" used tank!! Help!!!

Hi guys,

Recently I just bought a used tank from a nice brother in the forum. Tank age is about only 1 year+.

Tank was delivered yesterday and everything looks fine. I decided to let the tank rest for a day as informed by seller that a re-silicon job was done by the tank maker last friday, as it seems that the silicon has weakened even though the tank is only 1 year plus old...

Today I tried filling up the tank with water as I had to decom my fgt tank that is sold. However, I start hearing cracking sound and discover a long vertical crack line appearing on the front of the tank... it ran from one of the top bracing area to 3/4 down the tank... I used my finger and ran it across the crack line. I can feel both internal and external crack lines on both sides of the glass...

I immediately stopped filling up the tank and drained all water in it. I've contacted the tankmaker now pending for his reply....

Any bros encountered such similar incident before? Is it possible to replace the whole front glass under warranty as the crack could be caused by an improper silicon job done at the top bracing?

Need some advise here as urgently need to use this tank...
Old 14-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
llewellyn
Dragon

If its still under warranty they should.
In the first place, there shouldn't be any issue if the workmanship is good!

To add on, they should provide a temp fgt to house all your livestock until they retify the problem.

Last edited by llewellyn; 14-11-2013 at 07:13 AM.
llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Yuna
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolite22 View Post
Hi guys,

Recently I just bought a used tank from a nice brother in the forum. Tank age is about only 1 year+.

Tank was delivered yesterday and everything looks fine. I decided to let the tank rest for a day as informed by seller that a re-silicon job was done by the tank maker last friday, as it seems that the silicon has weakened even though the tank is only 1 year plus old...

Today I tried filling up the tank with water as I had to decom my fgt tank that is sold. However, I start hearing cracking sound and discover a long vertical crack line appearing on the front of the tank... it ran from one of the top bracing area to 3/4 down the tank... I used my finger and ran it across the crack line. I can feel both internal and external crack lines on both sides of the glass...

I immediately stopped filling up the tank and drained all water in it. I've contacted the tankmaker now pending for his reply....

Any bros encountered such similar incident before? Is it possible to replace the whole front glass under warranty as the crack could be caused by an improper silicon job done at the top bracing?

Need some advise here as urgently need to use this tank...
If u need space to tompang some of ur fishes u can let me know bah..
Amk neighbours
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
radiolite22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna View Post
If u need space to tompang some of ur fishes u can let me know bah..
Amk neighbours
Thanks alot bro!! Really appreciate your help. Will let you know if really can't resolve the issue in time.

Hopefully can see what the tank maker can do to help me...
Old 14-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Humongous

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolite22 View Post
Thanks alot bro!! Really appreciate your help. Will let you know if really can't resolve the issue in time.

Hopefully can see what the tank maker can do to help me...
U might want to consider making a new one... else aany more mishap might be even more costlier especially livestock and house reno and furnishing.....

Need help to temp house your fishes can also rope me in...
Old 14-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

A one year old tank already start to crack? Not very good workmanship or could it have been damaged during transportation? Think better change the tank.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
|JTBC|
Dragon

I think eventually you got to make new one.
|JTBC| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
|JTBC|
Dragon

Bcos it is cracked not leaked. No joke.
|JTBC| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
angelo
Senior Dragon

My guess, the failure is due to uneven loading, root cause should be tank support.
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
llewellyn
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyyouknow View Post
A one year old tank already start to crack? Not very good workmanship or could it have been damaged during transportation? Think better change the tank.
I think there are already some exsisting issues prior to the transportation...... TS mentioned resilicon last friday before the tank was moved.
llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote