Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 30-04-2004, 01:32 PM   #11
Cardinal Tetra

You can check out my Marine Tank Journal.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...6&page=1&pp=10

The tank is still in the midst of cycling till then.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:35 AM   #12
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker
What are all the things i need for the filtration?
Its the bio balls or something???
eerrr cant really tell u wat is good. some will use a combination of tis n tis. others will use tat n tat. some say bioballs will, overtime b come a nitrate factory, while some experience reefers r using tat. same goes 2 coral chips.
activated carbon is highly recommended by professionals, but many prefer not 2 use.
4 me, i'm juz using filter wool n coral chips.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:48 AM   #13
devilfire

ammonia will b detected as soon as there r "die off" in the tk. it can happen as soon as u start the cycling process. take note u can help 2 speed up the cycling process by adding market prawn.
start testing 4 the spike so as 2 monitor its process in order 2 b sure tat the nitrogen cycle will b established.
As soon as ur nitrite is zero, u shd add 1 hardy fish in even if there is a detection of nitrate. the reason is simple, bacterias will not multiply w/o "food"(fish waste).

IMHO, keep a diary. 1 reason is 2 keep a record of ur commitment n another reason is tat it will make ur hobby more fun.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:09 AM   #14
ReDDeviLs

if you have a large tank e.g 150gallon tank,adding 10 bioballs means nothing as your tank is too big and the nitrate trap there has no effect.
if your tank is small,1 bioball makes a difference.
yea add a hardy fish,but please dont add damsels,they will give u alot of problem in future.. IMO damsels are the alst fish you should add if you want them.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:18 AM   #15
devilfire

u may 1 2 make use of tis time 2 propagate ur coraline algae by leaving ur blue light on n adding supplements like calcium n reef builder.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:29 AM   #16
Dirtbiker

woow...
there are so many helpful guys out there...
thanks for the advices, i m very touched to see so many helpful guys.

Sorry, i m now very busy with my work and i will update u guys asap on what i have bought recently for the setup and what kind of marine life i like to keep.

Best is that some of u guys out there who can show me with pictures of your beautiful marine tank. so i may get some ideas on what type of marine setup i want for my tank.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:41 AM   #17
Dirtbiker

is a chiller a must for marine tank?
Old 01-05-2004, 09:20 AM   #18
nim75sg

Not necessary unless you're having corals or your tank is directly confronted by heat.

Fyi, I didn't have a chiller for my FOWLR tank ...
Old 01-05-2004, 10:59 AM   #19
samanosuke

need to take more care about of the marine water first b4 your fish
Old 01-05-2004, 11:32 AM   #20
KaLiB

I think most of us got our setup photos in our galleries.

You don't need a chiller for the marine tank, however you can install fans(usually we use PC fans) to cool the water if it gets too hot(Reef tank better to keep it at 27-29deg, FOWLR should not exceed 31degs), but evaporation rate will be high.