Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 27-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
octopus
Arofanatic

Question Is jebo 838 a good buy

Due to budget constraint thinking of getting a jebo 838 for my 3ft planted tank. Hope to get some feedback before i commit myself. My main concern is it have to be silent and has self priming features. Sharing of the pros and cons of this model will be much appreciated.
octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
qingwen

pros
cheap
spare parts readily available at most LFS
quiet
self priming
good flow rate

cons
higher wattage
might not last at long as similiar models and brands

might have missed out on a few points, bros, do back me up
but these are the main points at come to my mind when i think about jebo.
Old 27-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
octopus
Arofanatic

thanks bro that was a big help. Something that i overlook was the wattage. Will look up the website to find out actual wattage.
octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #4
qingwen

eheim's wattage is much lower, so perhaps in the long run, the cost of eheim vs jebo would even out..
Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
peanut8787
Arofanatic

If he wide of your tank is large, I would go for a 838 and maybe a 800lph flowrate canister to add filtration to it.
peanut8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Wazowski

imo go for a eheim. even when you decide to tear down ya unit you might put it to use again. i had bad experience with other brands.
Old 28-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
ZackZhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimp88 View Post
Yes go for a Ehiem, I have other brands flooding my living room with pump failure
In the 1st place your equipments should be have been designed to flood once there is power failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
gracy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Due to budget constraint thinking of getting a jebo 838 for my 3ft planted tank. Hope to get some feedback before i commit myself. My main concern is it have to be silent and has self priming features. Sharing of the pros and cons of this model will be much appreciated.
I always believe in paying a price for the quality and brand and durability
Electricity is my main concern since im the one footing the bills Jebo may be cheap, it is China made if im not wrong. But I have never placed faith in China originated products, even the facts of wattage they stated to be low, I doubt it true IMHO.

I go for ehiem, for the product durability, the touch and reliability. Jebo and Atman may be cheap initial, but when the wattage adds in over the months, it kinda balance off. In long run, it becomes more expensive than Ehiem. In long run, spare parts will be a problem for you. Ehiem parts are easily found in the market.

(JEBO) Low retail price + Higher Electricity bill + limited availability of spare parts = (EHEIM) High retail price + Lower Electricity bill + Availability of spare parts

Maybe its better to save bit more money for one better Canister Filter ya

But if you just use one CF to run one tank, maybe the bill wont be so significant la... so its your preference. I have quite fair bit of tanks to run...
gracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
copycat01

Err speaking of electrical bills have any one really calculation how much you save in terms of using JEBO vs EHEIM????

The upfront captial cost for EHEIM is way above JEBO. Are we sure in the long term we can get back the saving in terms of electrical saving??? Same for LED light, everyone is talking about saving in terms of electricity but how much saving are we looking at compare to upfront. Cant see much saving for either 1 or 2 pumps

Just food for thought
Old 29-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
charmaine12

where to get this filter now? And roughly how much?
charmaine12 is offline   Reply With Quote