Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 25-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
I am ordering a 611 tank not 622. heh. Good luck with your 2.5ft! I bet it will turn out great.

An article I read at aquascaping world states that the reason why to date ADA has not designed a glass rainbar is because Takashi Amano has proven that rainbars do not push water around the tank as effectively as one single bigger outlet as water pressure is lost in the rainbar. Although the jets seem powerful from the rainbar, water flow is reduced compared to a single outlet due to the fact that no pressure is lost.

And my other reason is that personally, I dun like the look of rainbars in a tank.
I myself also used normal outflows with out the rainbar at times so I can see your viewpoint. A note though, you would have to spend quite a bit of time to ensure the circulation is good. One way is to use your dry powder dosing to gauge.

At random spots, throw in your dry fert/supplements like KNO3, or Equilibrium or the likes, get those that don't float. Then observe if they are being pushed around nicely. They need not be pushed all over the tank, but look out for areas where they just float downwards. If there is just 1 or 2 spots then it should be fine, it is quite impossible to always have perfect circulation. But if it is occurring all over the place, then you have to tweak it around.

By the way, I personally would have gone for a 6x1.5x1.5, proportionally that is ideal for an iwagami, but that's just me.
Old 28-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #22
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
I myself also used normal outflows with out the rainbar at times so I can see your viewpoint. A note though, you would have to spend quite a bit of time to ensure the circulation is good. One way is to use your dry powder dosing to gauge.

At random spots, throw in your dry fert/supplements like KNO3, or Equilibrium or the likes, get those that don't float. Then observe if they are being pushed around nicely. They need not be pushed all over the tank, but look out for areas where they just float downwards. If there is just 1 or 2 spots then it should be fine, it is quite impossible to always have perfect circulation. But if it is occurring all over the place, then you have to tweak it around.

By the way, I personally would have gone for a 6x1.5x1.5, proportionally that is ideal for an iwagami, but that's just me.
Thanks for the advice. And I ordered a 6x1.5x1.5.
Now waiting for everything to be confirmed.
Old 29-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #23
Aquaticculture

I diy my own rainbar. Got myself some pipes and drill smaller & lesser holes at one end of the it...making it into a rain bar. Figured out that having smaller & lesser holes would push the flow further.

Instead of placing it horizontally, mine's vertical (at both ends of the 422). The holes are on the lower portion of the pipe (the tank) so as the taller plants can consume the CO2 as it raise towards the surface.