Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 01-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
sloke

Default Pros & Cons Of Standpipe In Overflow Compartment

Currently I am using bioball in my overflow compartment which had helped in reducing tricking sound. However, today I just checked and washed the bioball in my overflow compartment. To my disgust, the fish waste or poo in it is overwhelming so intend to ask Tank Junction to change it to "Standpipe".

Before doing so, would like to know any bros or sis using standpipe in their overflow compartment?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
jest1081
Dragon

noise will proly be an issue.
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
sloke

Bro, are u currently using it or used it before?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
ranmaru1987
Dragon

i used it before.. its really very silent.. alot of ppl said that waste will get stuck at the bottom of the over flow compartment if the standpipe is too tall but i didnt encounter this problem even though the stand pipe i used was very tall.. imagine the current in that small overflow compartment is equivalent to your pump output.. its like a tsunami in there.. all the waste will just fly around and eventually end up in your sump too..
ranmaru1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
sloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmaru1987 View Post
i used it before.. its really very silent.. alot of ppl said that waste will get stuck at the bottom of the over flow compartment if the standpipe is too tall but i didnt encounter this problem even though the stand pipe i used was very tall.. imagine the current in that small overflow compartment is equivalent to your pump output.. its like a tsunami in there.. all the waste will just fly around and eventually end up in your sump too..
That is what I am looking for, bro. Rather than fish waste stuck in the bioball, it will flow thru the sump eventually. May I know when you are referring tall, are you referring the tank & cabinet in total or the tank height alone? How tall is your tank? Are you still using standpipe?

Any cons using standpipe beside the possibility of waste get stuck at the bottom of the overflow compartment?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
ranmaru1987
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloke View Post
That is what I am looking for, bro. Rather than fish waste stuck in the bioball, it will flow thru the sump eventually. May I know when you are referring tall, are you referring the tank & cabinet in total or the tank height alone? How tall is your tank? Are you still using standpipe?

Any cons using standpipe beside the possibility of waste get stuck at the bottom of the overflow compartment?
my tank was 2 feet height.. standpipe was almost 2 feet also.. erm.. not any that i encountered..
ranmaru1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
sloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmaru1987 View Post
my tank was 2 feet height.. standpipe was almost 2 feet also.. erm.. not any that i encountered..
What flowrate of pump you are using? Are you currently using standpipe, bro?

My tank is 2.5ft height. Hmm...
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
atwork
Dragon

I also using stand pipe and leaving the overflow compartment empty...
The reason I leave it empty is because, there will sure have some residue poo or dirt in it. And everytime when I change the wool in my sump, I will pull out the stand pipe and let the water rush down to sump ... So far so good.
Noise level using stand pipe is greatly reduce also.
atwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
FanAromatic
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloke View Post
Currently I am using bioball in my overflow compartment which had helped in reducing tricking sound. However, today I just checked and washed the bioball in my overflow compartment. To my disgust, the fish waste or poo
Bro sloke, I'm also using bioball in my overflow compartment, on top of the bioball, I put filter wool, so that all the poo or waste will trap at the wool, have to wash it once a week, initiate stage I do frequent check and don't find any poo or waste in the biaball, do you also use wool too ?
FanAromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
sloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwork View Post
I also using stand pipe and leaving the overflow compartment empty...
The reason I leave it empty is because, there will sure have some residue poo or dirt in it. And everytime when I change the wool in my sump, I will pull out the stand pipe and let the water rush down to sump ... So far so good.
Noise level using stand pipe is greatly reduce also.
Bro, any possibility for me to visit your place and take a look at your standpipe set-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanAromatic View Post
Bro sloke, I'm also using bioball in my overflow compartment, on top of the bioball, I put filter wool, so that all the poo or waste will trap at the wool, have to wash it once a week, initiate stage I do frequent check and don't find any poo or waste in the biaball, do you also use wool too ?
I do not placed any wool in the overflow compartment, bro. You place right below the comb opening? So when flow into the compartment, the fish waste will only touch the wool not into the bioball. Am I correct?