Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 07-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #521
Zacquir
Arofanatic

Too cute to resist. Been reading a lot on them lately. Seems like pinheads arethe best option for food. Gonna go hunt down some pinheads today. And buy the Repashy. Hope the Repashy doesnt cost that much.
Planning to place my wtf into a small tupperware with some pinheads during feeding. Just to ensure it eats enough n moderately. Also dun want the uneaten crickets to be hiding in my exoterra and start feeding on the foam background.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4
Zacquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #522
don90

If you guys are unable to get pinheads, you can consider buying those boxes of black crickets from polyart. usually 1 box of big black crickets can have about 1-3 pieces of tiny crickets. Not economical but just a suggestion.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #523
Zacquir
Arofanatic

Thanks for the tip don90.
I managed to get a pack of pinheads over at petmart. So amazed to see how small they are in real life. My first encounter with a pinhead. Haha. Compared it with my 20cent coin. Here's a snap:

Im not entirely sure how many pieces inside. Probably should last more than a week for one baby frog. As you can see below:

Im now thinking of how to keep them alive for the 2 weeks period. Read & watched some online care sheets on them which states they need to be constantly hydrated. They suggested having a small dish of compacted & moist coco peat soil. Make sure its not retaining too much water that it will drown the pinheads. Just moist enough for them to hop on and suck out the water. Just constant spraying daily on it to keep it moist.
Now just wondering what to feed them.

Was tempted to get the Repashy cricket feed. It was really cool. You just need to mix 1/4 of the feed powder with 3/4 boiling water. And let it mix and rest. It'll turn into a food blob for dual purpose of both feeding and hydrating your crickets. Plus it contains rich nutrients for ur cricks. Making it a plus factor for ur froggy when it feeds on ur rich crickets.

Was down on budget. So shall try it next time. Reading the product catalogue and online recommendations sure burn a huge hole in ur pocket. Great marketing strategy. Haha.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #524
IK2

I will just clarify a few things; coming from
Experience as well as some actual research.

Pinheads grow quickly; the point is not to feed them too much. Feeding the feeders nutritious stuff is quite a common practice; but there is little science to back it up. What is more important is that you get a good calcium-vitamin powder and dust before every feeding for babies. Look for the repashy stuff. This expires six months from opening; don't skimp on it!

White tree frogs should not be fed on pellets. These are not ornamental fish.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #525
Clamence
Arofanatic

Bro my advice is keep the cricket cage dry! Those info online are by ang mo who live in country where humdity is low. My experience is that if there is too much moisture in the cricket box, many will die and it will be smelly. Just feed fish food, leaf vege or even grass would be enough! although the grass might have pesticide:x
Clamence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #526
silentous
Arofanatic

Just some contribution from me. I usually keep all my supplements in the fridge, only take them out when I need to dust the crickets. Next to prevent cricket smell, I usually go market buy a bunch of pandas leaves and dump it inside my cricket cage.
silentous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #527
IK2

Crickets are a nightmare. I suggest you but weekly; they really don't last much longer than that, in my experience. Btw, if you feed them things with too much calcium, which frogs need adequately, they die within 24 hours
Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #528
Zacquir
Arofanatic

Thanks all for the great advice..
I shant feed the cricks much. Plan to finish all by this week. And restock.
Just adding a small piece of cabbage to sustain them to live for a week.
And yea. Good point. the videos are all from the us and uk. Hence not the same as here. Very humid.
Pandan leaves are an excellent idea. I keep a pandan plant outside. Shall try it out.
Thanks again for the great advice bro IK2, Clamence & silentous.

I placed my frog in a small guppy tank along with like 12pinheads.
No action yet.. sad.. been 4 hours already..

This morning saw it at the base of the guppy tank. Still unsure if it ate any of the cricks.

And managed to transfer the pinheads over into a medium sized tupperware. Taped the iner sides with clear tape to reduce the chances of them jumping up the sides. Aint sure if it works. And added some pandan leaves.

That's new info. On the calcium to cricks.
Thanks again for all the great advice.
Shall restock my pinheads every week. Feeding them to my fishes too.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #529
Soulmates
Arofanatic

The Repashy at Petmart only 1 red note and green note for the small bottle and 2 red notes for the bigger ones.

Omg, I hate Pinheads, they are too fast and start hopping.
I'll do fine with the black kinds, they're slower and my frogs do well on them - I do switch to large Pinheads, depending on which one I can find.
Soulmates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #530
fhan
Arofanatic

Put some slices of carrot will be better for pinhead bro,

Cheers
fhan is offline   Reply With Quote