Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 05-03-2015, 07:48 PM   #21
CCT
Dragon

Ya too many male fight for thr king seat, actually those.black.one are black when i got them, thats one way i id as male. Haha
CCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #22
johannes

Is the above method to sex Frontosa at such a small size proven or just hearsay plus assumption?

A rather off-topic discussion
See how long it goes
Old 05-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #23
Bigfoot1989
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCT View Post
Brichardis is not too ex compare with the others, you can find at yun feng @ pasir ris farmway. Ocelltus at nks around $15, maybe dun get calvus and comp.first as they are range from $20 onwards.
Thanks bro! Haha. Found someone selling some of his own breed. I mean that breed in tank haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedash View Post
bigfoot, let's start it well!
Just a small noob advise here who is very into aesthetics, you may want to paste oyama at the back of your tank. I prefer black oyama on 3 sides, it really bring out the color of the tanga and you will be able to observe the behaviour better since they will be less startled by the surroundings.
check out this page for more inspiration!
https://www.facebook.com/sgtanga
Haha. Thanks bro. I just take out my black background lei. Haha. See if clear still look good anot. Anyway I like the group liao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbear View Post
Bro Bigfoot, Welcome to tangan family

Individual tanga keeper have their own preference on water parameter but most important condition is ph, anything between 7.4 - around 8.4 is fine.

Personally for me, ideal ph is abt 8. I only use tanga lake salt to adjust gh to around 14ppm, coral sand and coral chips to stabilise ph.

Some keeper buy off the self tangan buffer and some concocts their own buffer with bicarbonate, Epsom salt, sea salt...etc which is much cheaper to emulate the same water condition in lake tanga. They are also some who don't use anything at all but their fish still strive (most pub water in Singapore at ph7+).

For your tank size, most hobbyist will recommend you to keep a colony of shellie like similis or multis where you can enjoy watching the colony grow when the fish start to breed

Before you decide what fish to start with, would advise you to do some research, visit lfs or simply visit tanga keeper which I know some who will welcome you to see their collections and share their knowledge with you. I'm sure you won't want to end up getting fish which you don't like or regret

Just sharing my limited knowledge and hope it helps
Thanks bro! Haha. Shall test my ph first. Monday I'm getting the fish. Will post some photo that the seller send me. If u don't mind anyone can help me id? See if this is Shellie. Thanks. 😉
Bigfoot1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:49 PM   #24
Bigfoot1989
Dragon

Just test my ph with my goldfish inside. Haha. 7.6 ph. So am I ready to put the fish? Haha.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #25
Young Man
Senior Dragon

your tank size is good for some altos, shellies or rock dwellers.
your pH should be fine, make sure the tank is properly cycled. and have sufficient aeration in the tank. temperature wise yours no issue yet.

the fish your seller show you looks healthy, should be gold comps possibly. and the second one is lelupi. both are nice fish to start with. just make sure you acclimatize them properly, dont rush into in and dump in. and dont expand too fast unless you get a bigger tank.

other then that, just enjoy the hobby. trial and error, read and learn.
have fun!
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #26
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Ya too many male fight for thr king seat, actually those.black.one are black when i got them, thats one way i id as male. Haha
why would you get a black front when the good ones are the ones where their bars and contrast are sharp and distinct?
black can mean the fish not doing too well, under stress or genetic issue?

but it is interesting to hear that is how you sex the fish. care to share more on this? perhaps in your own thread? thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post
Is the above method to sex Frontosa at such a small size proven or just hearsay plus assumption?

See how long it goes
im also interested to know
how long you want? as long as 9in?
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #27
CCT
Dragon

Ya as young man says its really good start small then add on. Are you getting comps or leupi? Choose 1 first ba, if you get comps remember to get shell for them min is each comps 1 shell ratio, but its better to have extra
Old 05-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #28
CCT
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post

See how long it goes
Haha sorry for off topic mod, should cont in my tank thread
Old 05-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #29
Bigfoot1989
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
your tank size is good for some altos, shellies or rock dwellers.
your pH should be fine, make sure the tank is properly cycled. and have sufficient aeration in the tank. temperature wise yours no issue yet.

the fish your seller show you looks healthy, should be gold comps possibly. and the second one is lelupi. both are nice fish to start with. just make sure you acclimatize them properly, dont rush into in and dump in. and dont expand too fast unless you get a bigger tank.

other then that, just enjoy the hobby. trial and error, read and learn.
have fun!
Thanks bro for the reply. Haha. My tank has been running for one year with goldfish inside. Maybe just get this two breeds only. There rock dwellers also? U mean catfish? Sld I add more lava rock in? Maybe when they grow bigger then I add in big shells?
Old 05-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #30
Bigfoot1989
Dragon

Quote:
Ya as young man says its really good start small then add on. Are you getting comps or leupi? Choose 1 first ba, if you get comps remember to get shell for them min is each comps 1 shell ratio, but its better to have extra
I getting both whahah. 6comps and 2 leupi. But I need to view it first on Monday.