Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 14-12-2002, 06:06 PM   #1
5ft

Default Breeding goldfish

Had anyone has the experience of breeding goldfish? Is spore temp ok for breeding them?
Old 14-12-2002, 07:50 PM   #2
aw_i

I read thru quite a few websites. All say VERY hard. Haven heard of anyone successfully breeded one. Its not as easy as Lhs..hahaa Breed like rabbits.
Old 15-12-2002, 01:38 AM   #3
Xerovix

Default Re: Breeding goldfish

a lower temperature is ideal.

my red/white oranda and red cap oranda have spawned many times already when the weather is cooler. one of my red & white oranda spawned on friday's morning till evening. once i return from work and notice there are many white spots on the tank and water a bit cloudy... i knew immediately spawning has taken place.

i've tried twice to breed it but failed due to fungus infection as i use too little dosage of methylene blue. other than that i do not bother even when i see it as other goldfishes will feed on the eggs immediately.

one of these days i'll try manually...

Quote:
Originally posted by 5ft
Had anyone has the experience of breeding goldfish? Is spore temp ok for breeding them?
Old 15-12-2002, 04:26 AM   #4
aw_i

Hand-breeding Goldies
Found this article on the net. U might wanna try it. Too gross for me though.

Old 15-12-2002, 01:13 PM   #5
azian dragon

Through experience....i tend to believe that most of the goldfish breeding proccess occurs once the fish are matured. The most difficult part is harching the eggs.I have tried leaving them as is, removing the eggs and seperating the mother but nothing seems to work. If im not mistaken, Louis has been very successful in breeding Ryukins.
Old 15-12-2002, 02:20 PM   #6
Louis

Hey,

GOldfish are not very picky when it comes to breeding. The hard part is actually distinguishing Male from female. This is nearly impossible to the untrained eye. The only way you can tell is through the actual breeding of the fish. Here the male will chase around the female, trying to rub his body against the side of the female.

From my experience, a temperature of 78-82 F is sufficient. pH can be maintained at 7. Once spawning is completed, remove the parents immediatly, and raise the temperature to about 84 to allow for the fastest hatching time.

Once hatched, the fry should not be fed for roughly 4 days until their yolk sacs have been completed. From here on, you can start will newly hatched brine shrimp, egg yolk, or powdered food that can be purchased at your LFS.

I can certainly say that raising the fry is the MOST difficult part, as they are very sensitive to water changes, and need to be monitored carefully to promote the best growth.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me. GOod luck!