Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 05-12-2003, 10:05 PM   #11
tzeming

Quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyOranda
How often you do water changes and how much each time?
About 25% to 30% once per week with aged water treated with Geo liquid.

Phil
Old 06-12-2003, 12:56 AM   #12
SpunkyOranda

Hmm, since you started out with 2 in small aquarium I think they died. I think they will be much better now with only two. Did you use salt? I don't think you can cure dropsy better seperate.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:13 AM   #13
tzeming

Quote:
Hmm, since you started out with 2 in small aquarium I think they died. I think they will be much better now with only two. Did you use salt? I don't think you can cure dropsy better seperate.
Huh?? I think u misunderstood me...

I started out with a 2ft tank with overhead filter for 5 1.5" ranchus. Then 1 died because of dropsy. Was told my tank is too small so I upgraded to a 3ft tank with Eheim canister filter. Then another 2 give way. Now treating 1 with dropsy while e other is fine. I use a bit of salt only.

Phil
Old 06-12-2003, 10:05 AM   #14
SpunkyOranda

Maybe you should buy test kit. Secret to keeping fish healthy is keeping water health
Old 06-12-2003, 08:31 PM   #15
tzeming

Quote:
Maybe you should buy test kit. Secret to keeping fish healthy is keeping water health
I'm monitoring the water parameters for PH, Temperature, Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate. Using mainly Sera test kit..

Phil
Old 07-12-2003, 11:23 PM   #16
tzeming

Updates...

I move my sick baby back into the tank liao.. dropsy looks better now.. but the black patches r still there...

What should I do next?

Phil
Old 08-12-2003, 12:42 AM   #17
coldfish

Hi,

First off, your little fish is very cute. Was just wondering if you want to let go? You can PM me.
It appears that the tank water is still not in healthy state although I assume you've tried everything and followed every useful advices given by all the helpful people here and yet the situation only seems to improve a little?
First for the black patches, they won't fade away that fast. So give it some time because the most imortant thing right now is that your fish is lively and feeds normally.
I have a couple of questions for you though, Tzeming:

1. What kind of light source your fish is receiving?
2. If it is articial light, how long is it switched on?

One more thing: If you are changing 20 ~ 30% of water at a time, it should be once every 3 to 4 days, not 1 week. This rule applies especially to gf as they not only eat alot but purge as much too.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:16 AM   #18
tzeming

Quote:
Originally posted by coldfish
Hi,

First off, your little fish is very cute. Was just wondering if you want to let go? You can PM me.
It appears that the tank water is still not in healthy state although I assume you've tried everything and followed every useful advices given by all the helpful people here and yet the situation only seems to improve a little?
First for the black patches, they won't fade away that fast. So give it some time because the most imortant thing right now is that your fish is lively and feeds normally.
I have a couple of questions for you though, Tzeming:

1. What kind of light source your fish is receiving?
2. If it is articial light, how long is it switched on?

One more thing: If you are changing 20 ~ 30% of water at a time, it should be once every 3 to 4 days, not 1 week. This rule applies especially to gf as they not only eat alot but purge as much too.

Hope that helps.
Hes a very cute & lively fellow... very interactive too. I might ask for adoption if I lost my current sick baby. Not going to kill more goldies so most probably give up this hobby althogther.

I'm not too sure about all the parameters of my water but I know PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate & Temp is good.

To answer your question.

Indirect sunlight & artificial light. Artificial light control by a timer each day on from 7 to 9am, 12 to 2pm & 4 to 6pm.

Should I change more water if I can only do it once per week? But I'm now down to 2 x 3" ranchu in a 3ft tank. Feed only about 6 to 10 small pallet per goldy once a day. I already consider that overkill since water per fish is much higher than the recommend 10gal.

I still don't understand why I fail to keep them healthy. I saw some of u guys actually have tonnes of goldies in small tank & flourishing too... I have already spend so much $$$, care & attention but it doesn't help

Phil
Old 08-12-2003, 01:32 AM   #19
coldfish

Hi,

7 to 9am? That's not good. Gf need to sleep too or they'll be stressed out and become more prone to sickness.
If spaces permits, try to move the tank to a new location with direct sunlight. No artificial light fully replace sunlight.

Yes, do change more water if you can only do it once a week. However, as your fish is already accustomed to the condition right now, increase the amount of water change only gradually. Observe the condition of your fish each time you increase the ratio and maintain that ratio for at least 4 changes. Depending on how healthy your fish is and how good the filtration is, water can be changed at up to 80%. Remember to add anti-chlorine though (never use more than the amount described on the bottle).

Sorry bro, you are now feeding too little to your gf.
Try using this method as guide:

give him enough food to consume within 5 minutes. If you have the time, feed him half the amount this time after 15 minutes.
That should keep his body well rounded but balanced.
Try to starve him for a day at least once a month.
That way, it not only helps to clear his instestines, it also gives your filter a breather.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:57 PM   #20
tzeming

Quote:
Originally posted by coldfish
Hi,

7 to 9am? That's not good. Gf need to sleep too or they'll be stressed out and become more prone to sickness.
If spaces permits, try to move the tank to a new location with direct sunlight. No artificial light fully replace sunlight.

Yes, do change more water if you can only do it once a week. However, as your fish is already accustomed to the condition right now, increase the amount of water change only gradually. Observe the condition of your fish each time you increase the ratio and maintain that ratio for at least 4 changes. Depending on how healthy your fish is and how good the filtration is, water can be changed at up to 80%. Remember to add anti-chlorine though (never use more than the amount described on the bottle).

Sorry bro, you are now feeding too little to your gf.
Try using this method as guide:

give him enough food to consume within 5 minutes. If you have the time, feed him half the amount this time after 15 minutes.
That should keep his body well rounded but balanced.
Try to starve him for a day at least once a month.
That way, it not only helps to clear his instestines, it also gives your filter a breather.
I see.. but I read from other forum that the tank should not be under direct sunlight or else chances of algae growth is much higher.

I switch on the light to feed them. Maybe I will switch it off after feeding them from now on.. They normally wake up quite early in the morning. When I awake, they r swimming around liao. I do switch off the light after 6 & let them sleep.

I don't feed much because I'm worried they will kanna swim bladder disease. LFS also advise me to feed them once per day.. maybe I should increase e portion.

Thanks for your advice man.

Phil