Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 24-11-2002, 10:57 PM   #1
egstring

redcross Ranchu on the surface...

my ranchu has been behaving wierdly. Hanging around just beneath the surface of the water. Dun really swim much. Inactive. But wont overturn or look unbalance. Wat may be the cause? Laserguy, Madman, Fever, Frankloh.......HELP!?!? any advise?
Old 24-11-2002, 11:05 PM   #2
Xerovix

Default Re: Ranchu on the surface...

did you put the bag on your fish tank to reduce the temperature difference? then did you pour in some water from you tank into the bag in sequence?

Quote:
Originally posted by egstring
my ranchu has been behaving wierdly. Hanging around just beneath the surface of the water. Dun really swim much. Inactive. But wont overturn or look unbalance. Wat may be the cause? Laserguy, Madman, Fever, Frankloh.......HELP!?!? any advise?
Old 24-11-2002, 11:07 PM   #3
egstring

he is an old bird. Been keeping it for abt 1 mth liao.....
when i came home just now suddenly like tat. Just hanging listlessly on the surface......hardly moving.
Old 24-11-2002, 11:11 PM   #4
Xerovix

hanging listlessly just below the surface with slow gill movement?

Quote:
he is an old bird. Been keeping it for abt 1 mth liao.....
when i came home just now suddenly like tat. Just hanging listlessly on the surface......hardly moving.
Old 24-11-2002, 11:39 PM   #5
egstring

exactly............slow gill movement!
wat should i do?
i just change 50% water and added salt. Will it help?
Old 25-11-2002, 12:04 AM   #6
Xerovix

i happended to one of my ranchu before... this was what i did.

1. i checked my ph... it crashed to the red zone.
2. i did a 20% water change and checked the ph... still acidic but in the orange zone. everyday add a bit of soda till it reached basic or slightly alkaline.
3. limit feeding to once a day. (normally i fed twice a day)
4. every alt. days i did 10% partial water change and checked ph level. adding salt is a routine in my water change.

about 2 weeks later, it almost return to normal. but sadly, it never fully recover from this symptom... once a while it will still float to the top restlessly with slow gill movement for a few seconds.

till now i still do not know really know what happened except my ph crashed. searched the net before but found nothing relating to it.

Quote:
exactly............slow gill movement!
wat should i do?
i just change 50% water and added salt. Will it help?
Old 25-11-2002, 07:29 PM   #7
LASERGUY

Hi, think your ranchu kanna bladder problem. The symptom of this problem is either your ranchu keep floating to the top or sink to the bottom. This is because it could not regulate its buoyancy properly. Did you over-feed your ranchu? Check water condition?
You can try Interpet cure for bladder problem, have use it to cure one of my ranchu before. Also, reduce the depth of the water also tends to help a bit.
Old 25-11-2002, 07:59 PM   #8
egstring

better today. still the whole tank of ranchu is inactive. Swim slowly. And the surface got a layer of foam......Clown loach from the tank die liao...dunno why
Old 25-11-2002, 08:51 PM   #9
Xerovix

what's your ph level?

Quote:
better today. still the whole tank of ranchu is inactive. Swim slowly. And the surface got a layer of foam......Clown loach from the tank die liao...dunno why
Old 25-11-2002, 11:39 PM   #10
egstring

dun have a test kit. But i guess should be quite ok. I just change 30% water and added salt again......hope it will clear. Still curious abt the foam thing. Last time for my LH, i just add activated carbon, the next day ok liao.....