Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 28-11-2002, 01:34 PM   #1
LHFAN

Question Thai Black Ranchu turning Brown???

Bought a pair of Thai black Ranchu fr Qianhu abt 2 mth ago, beautiful and black when i got them. But recently, 1 of them has turned slightly brownish, any expert (Mr egstring, goldfish fever, goldfishmadman, laserguy or any1) here to help solve this problem, i m open to all kinds of suggestions, thks........

Last edited by LHFAN; 01-12-2002 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2002, 04:34 PM   #2
LHFAN

Exclamation

Anybody having the same problem or not, pls comment....
Old 01-12-2002, 05:46 PM   #3
Xerovix

nope... but having read it somewhere that the ph level may play a part.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:49 PM   #4
Xerovix

can show us a pic of your black turns chocolate ranchu?
Old 01-12-2002, 11:21 PM   #5
goldfishfever

Default Re: Thai Black Ranchu turning Brown???

Quote:
Originally posted by LHFAN
Bought a pair of Thai black Ranchu fr Qianhu abt 2 mth ago, beautiful and black when i got them. But recently, 1 of them has turned slightly brownish, any expert (Mr egstring, goldfish fever, goldfishmadman, laserguy or any1) here to help solve this problem, i m open to all kinds of suggestions, thks........
Check the pH of your water. Black Thai Ranchu kept in alkaline water (>7) tense to turn lighter - greyish. Lower the pH to 7 or below.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:23 AM   #6
LASERGUY

Default Re: Re: Thai Black Ranchu turning Brown???

Quote:
Originally posted by goldfishfever

Check the pH of your water. Black Thai Ranchu kept in alkaline water (>7) tense to turn lighter - greyish. Lower the pH to 7 or below.
Also, normally those Black Thai ranchu kept outdoor will be darker compared to those kept indoor, probably due to the sunlight.

Also, wrote to Thai Ranchu Website to ask about same question sometimes ago, the reply from them is in additional to pH, sunlight, also try to keep your thai black in black background, according to them, the fish will try to blend into the background by turning darker. But then, like that how to enjoy your fish while you can't see them clearly ?
Old 02-12-2002, 12:50 AM   #7
Xerovix

Default Re: Re: Re: Thai Black Ranchu turning Brown???

but the colour of black thai ranchu is different for china/hong kong.

Quote:
Originally posted by LASERGUY

Also, normally those Black Thai ranchu kept outdoor will be darker compared to those kept indoor, probably due to the sunlight.

Also, wrote to Thai Ranchu Website to ask about same question sometimes ago, the reply from them is in additional to pH, sunlight, also try to keep your thai black in black background, according to them, the fish will try to blend into the background by turning darker. But then, like that how to enjoy your fish while you can't see them clearly ?
Old 02-12-2002, 10:33 AM   #8
LASERGUY

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Thai Black Ranchu turning Brown???

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerovix
but the colour of black thai ranchu is different for china/hong kong.

My experience with them when water condition is not optimum is, the pure thai will tends to become greyish but the belly remain dark and once condition is good, they will become jet-black again. Whereas chinese one (those sold by Qian Hu), the belly will turn white/yellow or even pink if you feed them with red enhancer, I used to have one even turn top half black and bottom half gold. Probably these chinese black are cross between black and gold. Not matter how good the water conidtion is, they will not reach the jet-black quality of the thai and the black colouration will not totally covered their belly portion.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:46 PM   #9
Xerovix

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thai Black Ranchu turning Brown???

thanks for the info...

btw, does hikari pellets affect the colour of thai black ranchu?

Quote:
Originally posted by LASERGUY

My experience with them when water condition is not optimum is, the pure thai will tends to become greyish but the belly remain dark and once condition is good, they will become jet-black again. Whereas chinese one (those sold by Qian Hu), the belly will turn white/yellow or even pink if you feed them with red enhancer, I used to have one even turn top half black and bottom half gold. Probably these chinese black are cross between black and gold. Not matter how good the water conidtion is, they will not reach the jet-black quality of the thai and the black colouration will not totally covered their belly portion.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:12 PM   #10
LASERGUY

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerovix
thanks for the info...

btw, does hikari pellets affect the colour of thai black ranchu?

For your info, Japanese do not breed any black ranchu (The Fish Tank at Tanjong Pagar, TRP partner in crime, did tried to con me before by saying their black were from Japan.)
I think Hikari being a Jap Brand (although now manufactured in China) have not developed any enhancer on black coloration.
Red enhancer in Hikari should not post any problem on Thai Black, but if you have Chinese Black, then their belly will sometimes turn pinkish.