Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 15-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
xenogade
Arofanatic

Default My Newbie Planted Tank

First time trying a planted tank. do i have to add in more hiding places for my shrimps?
xenogade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Sunday
Dragon

Looks good as it is!
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
xenogade
Arofanatic

i just added the driftwood,hornwort and the nana plant into the tank yesterday. and 3 shrimps just suddenly died....
Old 15-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
spottyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenogade View Post
i just added the driftwood,hornwort and the nana plant into the tank yesterday. and 3 shrimps just suddenly died....
Oh dear, new plants from LFS ? Maybe pesticide could have killed your shrimps
Old 15-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
james_neo
Arofanatic

Look like you have bought the emmersed form of moss carpet. Can still see the soil/root under the moss which is not good for the tank water.
james_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
xenogade
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_neo View Post
Look like you have bought the emmersed form of moss carpet. Can still see the soil/root under the moss which is not good for the tank water.
ermm able to elaborate more on this?
Old 16-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
xenogade
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottyfish View Post
Oh dear, new plants from LFS ? Maybe pesticide could have killed your shrimps
i think it might not be the plants. btw another shrimp bite the dust again. so total 4 shrimps liao. the 4 shrimps were given by my friend. i think the temperature difference in our tank might be too drastic for the shrimp to handle. my friend's tank is at 25 degree while mine is around 27.4 degree.
Old 16-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
james_neo
Arofanatic

Quote:
ermm able to elaborate more on this?
Quote:
i think it might not be the plants. btw another shrimp bite the dust again. so total 4 shrimps liao. the 4 shrimps were given by my friend. i think the temperature difference in our tank might be too drastic for the shrimp to handle. my friend's tank is at 25 degree while mine is around 27.4 degree.
LFS get their plants from plants supplier. They are cultivated in the fastest way possible and emmersed form of cultivation is one of the method. Moss grow in this condition are faster and with minimum effort. Thus when buyer get their moss from LFS (packed nicely in plastic bag), the moss are still in emmersed form and not conditioned to submerged form. Thus when buyer put them under water, it will turn brownish or yellowish after a few days/weeks while they transit to submerged form. Some may even died off. The emmersed form of moss are usually untreated (with pest, toxic substance)
[Moss does not have root, you can see from the underneath of the moss that brown portion which are soil and roots from the ground where they are cultivated] which could be toxic as they melt and released them to the water. This is bad for sensitive fishes and shrimps which required good quality water. Hope this help.
james_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
xenogade
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_neo View Post
LFS get their plants from plants supplier. They are cultivated in the fastest way possible and emmersed form of cultivation is one of the method. Moss grow in this condition are faster and with minimum effort. Thus when buyer get their moss from LFS (packed nicely in plastic bag), the moss are still in emmersed form and not conditioned to submerged form. Thus when buyer put them under water, it will turn brownish or yellowish after a few days/weeks while they transit to submerged form. Some may even died off. The emmersed form of moss are usually untreated (with pest, toxic substance)
[Moss does not have root, you can see from the underneath of the moss that brown portion which are soil and roots from the ground where they are cultivated] which could be toxic as they melt and released them to the water. This is bad for sensitive fishes and shrimps which required good quality water. Hope this help.
you are right, i have remove all the moss carpet and only then i realized how dirty it is.