Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 24-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Talking

Super neat arrangement of the CR , any signigicants diff to how we place?
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
leisuretron
Arofanatic

Thumbs up nice setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalline View Post
Mine also tis way..
hi, any reason why its placed bottom(horizontal), center(vertical), top(horizontal)?thks
leisuretron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
spottyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEWY_AROWANA View Post
no offence bro. mayb i saw wrongly. some bro are using tupperware to house their medias in their OHF trays. seems quite effective too
Ya, i am contemplating whether i should try that. But have not found a container small enough to put into my small tray

Also, am a little worry about the weight issue as i intend to stack 4 tier ( currently 3 tier )

Maybe i will just try 1 tier when i found a container small enough

QUOTE=Micheallow34 Tis is my way !

Wow !! You very smart hor ! Put 2 kind of combination in 1 tray ! I will do that when i stack my next tray !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Tan183 View Post
hi bro, yours is the TOM brand OHF? If I am not wrong the CRs should be placed horizontally for more restriction in the water flow, more effective colonisation of bacteria.

Your tank is very clean and neat, very beautiful setup!
I am not sure what brand my OHF is. I got it from a bro quite some time ago. I also think should be placed horizontally but from observation, it seems placing horizontally, you cannot put as much as if you place standing vertically

Thanks !! Hehe, my tank all small fish only ma I am sure you can keep your tank clean too !!

Yes, i have seen this thread some time back

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
Nice and neat
Your bioload very high?
Cotton wool very dirty
Well, this cotton wool, use many months already. This same cotton wool was from my Goldfish Tub last time ( 5 TVR ) and i re-use it in my current tank. It seems, it never become MORE dirty

I am still observing the cotton wool, if the wool does not become dirty or only very slightly dirty, i will remove the cotton on the Most left and middle tray and change them to medias. But i will leave the last tray on the right with cotton as if there is any dirt, they will flow out from there since its an open end

The reason why the cotton wool not becoming more dirty probably is because my powerhead, if u realise, water must pass through a black sponge media ( I squeeze 2 black sponge media only a single sponge media holder to make it more compact ) before coming up to my OHF trays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Very clean tank base! Nice! How do you manage to get all your poop to the suction inlet? I think many bros here would be interested to know.
Hehes ! This tank only 2.5ft and OHF. So water drops from the right, will push water to the left. My sponge filter is on the left so it sucks some waste over there closer to my OHF powerhead.

Everyfew days, if i see some waste on the floor, i will suck them out ( About 1 tau huey container of water ) and top up water at the end of the week

QUOTE=Royalline;8880646 Mine also tis way..

Does it work ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisuretron View Post
hi, any reason why its placed bottom(horizontal), center(vertical), top(horizontal)?thks
Probably to create more resistant so water can cover more area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Super neat arrangement of the CR , any signigicants diff to how we place?
Well, one significant different that i observe is that most of these media are from my 3ft OHF which i do not stack properly. When i stack them in my 2ft OHF, i do not have enough !!

So when you stack probably, you use space more efficiently

My Tank set up as below

2.5ft Glass Tank
15watt single tube T8 Light
15watt Aquazonic PowerHead ( 1300L/H )
Hi-Flo 9000 Air Pump for my Sponge Filter

9x Cardinal Tetra
2x Neon Tetra
10x White Clound Mountain Minnow
5x Blue Angel ( Look like silver / zebra to me though )
20x Rummynose
5x cory ( 3 bronze, 2 albino )
1x SAE
1x L001 ( Common Pleco )

Bunch of Hornworts
1 big Nana plant in the middle

Wish to share a tip with bros here !! If you want to add hornwort to your tank with OHF and you see your Hornworts Tumbling !! Just extend your OHF outflow tube INTO your water ( I.e. below water level ) Your hornwort will stop turning and just stay around that area
Old 24-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
Royalline
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisuretron View Post
Bro, every drops of water will not miss the media
Royalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
Micheallow34
Dragon

Quote:
Yes I agree ! Can't say is the best way !but still 1 useful way to do it! Cheers bro !
Micheallow34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
leisuretron
Arofanatic

Quote:
ic, thks bro..i had mine all in horizontal.means there are chances that so of the media missed?
leisuretron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
jebus
Dragon

last time i put my trays of CR very neatly, but discovered after sometime it actually clogged up and cause "flooding"
especially for the horizontal type.
so now just put messy....

also notice that there will be regions in ur "neat arrangement" that will have little water ( especially those immediately after ur wool compartment)
jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #18
spottyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebus View Post
last time i put my trays of CR very neatly, but discovered after sometime it actually clogged up and cause "flooding"
especially for the horizontal type.
so now just put messy....

also notice that there will be regions in ur "neat arrangement" that will have little water ( especially those immediately after ur wool compartment)
Indeed, you are right ! There will definitely be some area where less water flow through.

Hopefully, it will result in de-nitrification process due to the slower flowrate ( but maybe too much oxygen, not so sure )

Having said so, also hope my hornworts will take up the remaining nitrate I do not have a Ammonia or Nitrite test kit. I only have a Nitrate test kit. Reading is pretty stable @ 10ppm
Old 25-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #19
forcefeedback
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottyfish View Post
Indeed, you are right ! There will definitely be some area where less water flow through.

Hopefully, it will result in de-nitrification process due to the slower flowrate ( but maybe too much oxygen, not so sure )

Having said so, also hope my hornworts will take up the remaining nitrate I do not have a Ammonia or Nitrite test kit. I only have a Nitrate test kit. Reading is pretty stable @ 10ppm
You're on the right track Bro. Nitrate level is just a number game. Nitrogen in minus Nitrogen out equals Nitrogen remaining in the tank. We rely on plants to rid the rest....
forcefeedback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #20
spottyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefeedback View Post
You're on the right track Bro. Nitrate level is just a number game. Nitrogen in minus Nitrogen out equals Nitrogen remaining in the tank. We rely on plants to rid the rest....
Hopefully my plants does its job !! Otherwise i m lost !! I might consider getting 1 small tray of Seachem Matrix to help if it gets bad ~

Also, i am contemplating to keep shrimps just not very sure at this moment, hehes !

Last time i tried shrimps but have many problems like Planaria and Hydra. Dont know how to solve the problem, so i quit