Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 18-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Freak

Default The Great Mahseer Journal - IV

This is a continuation from the previous thread. Hope all the bros will continue to post their valuable insights.

Old 18-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Freak

Bro Sepp,

Basically, there's two types of blue sold in lfs; tor duronensis and neolissochilus stracheyi. The later has a pronounced lateral black line across its body. As for the former at 9in, blue coloration on fins and back will also be very pronounced. Snout is more rounded. The fish in your pic looks more like a red. Try to take a pic in white light.

Old 18-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
sepp
Dragon

will show in white lights...trying to change my lights next couple of weeks.

red also oke kua...as long as not green..
Old 18-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
FishyAmazon

Hi Freak, thanks for the continuation. I see great potential in you as the next Mahseer expert.

Hi Sepp, you said the pic your posted were in red lights so that may obscure the vision a bit. By the way, tor duronesis has the same look as some red kelahs and very difficult to tell apart unless in neutral natural lighting.

For Info: There are many body types of red kelahs in my own observation.
1) Deep-bodied with shorter gill-plate type
2) A normal bodied type - the one that look likes the pic sepp and babun posted (tor douronesis also have the similar body structure but with silver-greyish body and blue coloured finnage)

Old 18-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
sepp
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyAmazon View Post
Hi Freak, thanks for the continuation. I see great potential in you as the next Mahseer expert.

Hi Sepp, you said the pic your posted were in red lights so that may obscure the vision a bit. By the way, tor duronesis has the same look as some red kelahs and very difficult to tell apart unless in neutral natural lighting.

2) A normal bodied type - the one that look likes the pic sepp and babun posted (tor douronesis also have the similar body structure but with silver-greyish body and blue coloured finnage)
Thanks for the insight bro...if mine is a red, then does it mean the scales will turn red while the fins blue?

I always thought kelah classification is based on the fins color. Sorry, truly a newbie when it comes to kelahs.
Old 19-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
dragonhart
Dragon

saw a pc of Golden Mahseer (wild india) , size like 8 inches...for sale at a LFS at jurong west st 81..... going for slightly less than 10 blue notes!!

there's some small "Mahseer", they called it "Jin Ji Lou" ..1 red note each...what is this?? Newbie here.
Old 19-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyAmazon View Post

Waahhh. Don't say like that . I'm no marine expert; just sharing some info only.

Old 19-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepp View Post
Thanks for the insight bro...if mine is a red, then does it mean the scales will turn red while the fins blue?

I always thought kelah classification is based on the fins color. Sorry, truly a newbie when it comes to kelahs.
Reds are supposed to have red scales and some tinge of red and black on fins.

Old 19-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonhart View Post
saw a pc of Golden Mahseer (wild india) , size like 8 inches...for sale at a LFS at jurong west st 81..... going for slightly less than 10 blue notes!!

there's some small "Mahseer", they called it "Jin Ji Lou" ..1 red note each...what is this?? Newbie here.
Care to show some pics?

Old 20-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Freak

Recently I noticed most of my blues kept in minimum lighting environment has developed darker shades of blue. Any bros with similar observation or otherwise?

Closed Thread