Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 27-12-2008, 11:05 PM   #61
zien87
Arofanatic

bro schmike u manage to adopt anyone PNT? i mean the 15''
zien87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #62
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zien87 View Post
bro schmike u manage to adopt anyone PNT? i mean the 15''
if i have space to adopt the 15" i would have adopted 1-2 pcs of 9-10" a few mths back.

that is kept by someone else. not adopted by me. it was adopted by the owner ard 5-6 yrs ago. its estimated to b ard 10 yrs old.

where is ur PNT?
Schmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #63
zien87
Arofanatic

my PNT is fine!! but recently got shell fungus but has since recovered, is prolly due to my bad water condition ..
Old 27-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #64
WaterDroplets

hi sorri off topics a little.. wads the difference between a turtle and a tortoise?
Old 27-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #65
zien87
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDroplets View Post
hi sorri off topics a little.. wads the difference between a turtle and a tortoise?
hmm i guess a turtle = 100% in water, a tortoise = 100% on land
Old 27-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #66
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
my PNT is fine!! but recently got shell fungus but has since recovered, is prolly due to my bad water condition ..
confirm. they very sensitive to water.

Quote:
turtle can swim in water. tortoise will drown in water. their feet also look different. turtles have flat feet while tortoises have stumpy feet. but sometimes even some vet also cant tell the difference.

last time i brought a tortoise to a vet (most likely a trainee) n the vet was asking me if i have water to let my TURTLE swim. i keep on tell the vet its a TORTOISE the vet dont listen. keep on insist that my TORTOISE is a TURTLE n need water to swim. until the vet checked with an experienced vet then come tell me im right. its a TORTOISE.
Old 27-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #67
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
hmm i guess a turtle = 100% in water, a tortoise = 100% on land
not all turtles 100% in water. most turtles can move on both land n water. but some turtles just prefer or r meant to stay in water all their life unless its a female. then it will go to land to lay her eggs.
Old 27-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #68
WaterDroplets

oic.. thanks for the knowledge..

last time i tot british english call turtle and american english call tortoise

haha thanks for the clarification
Old 27-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #69
zien87
Arofanatic

[QUOTE=Schmike;6462928]confirm. they very sensitive to water.

will post update on my PNT when i change a better filter n buy a lighting
Old 27-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #70
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
oic.. thanks for the knowledge..

last time i tot british english call turtle and american english call tortoise

haha thanks for the clarification
eh...

more info:
A division of reptiles, called chelonians, includes turtles, tortoises, and terrapins. For the most part, the difference between a turtle and tortoise is more of a rough semantic category than a strict taxonomic separation. Colloquially, both biologists and lay people use the word, "turtle" to mean all chelonians. In general, turtles live in or near the water and have adapted to swim by holding their breath underwater. Tortoises live primarily in arid regions, built for storing their own water supply and walking on sandy ground.

In a biological respect, a tortoise is a kind of a turtle, but not all turtles are tortoises. Tortoises occupy their own taxonomic family, called testudinidae. All types of land and aquatic turtles come in a wide range of sizes, colors, and shapes. Sometimes the name "terrapin" refers to those animals that fall somewhere between a turtle and tortoise, because they live in swampy areas or begin life underwater and eventually move to dry land.

Turtles may live in freshwater, the ocean, or brackish ponds and marshland. Their front feet might be fins or merely webbed toes with streamlined back feet to help them swim. Turtles have flatter backs than tortoises, and may spend all or part of their lives underwater. They mate and lay eggs underwater or on the shore. Some turtles sun themselves on logs, rocks, or sandy banks. During cold weather, they burrow in mud and go into torpor, a state similar to hibernation. Sea turtles migrate great distances. They are more often omnivorous, eating plants, insects, and fish.

Tortoises live entirely above water, only wading into streams to clean themselves or to drink. In fact, they could drown in deep or swift current. Their feet are hard, scaly, and nubby so it can crawl across sharp rocks and sand. Tortoises often have claws to dig burrows, which they occupy during hot, sunny weather or during sleep. Tortoises are mostly herbivorous, eating cactus, shrubs, and other plants that have a lot of moisture. They rarely migrate. Their shell forms a rounded dome, allowing the tortoise's limbs and head to withdraw for protection.

extracted fr http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...a-tortoise.htm