Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 22-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Post 2ft Malawi Rockscape Setup

Over the weekend, I bought 9 cichlids from QianHu. Judging from their appearances, they should belong to the Mbuna Cichlids species, residing in Lake Malawi, Africa.

Even though mine is a 2ft tank, I decided to overstock the tank a little to spread out any possible aggression. Also, since their natural habitat is rocky with little plants, I try to setup a rockscape similar to it.

Went down to Aquastar this evening to buy some rocks. In the end I only bought two rocks, with the rest picked up from the roadside, which looked safe enough to be used:

I then scrubbed and washed them before putting them in piece by piece, trying to create as many hiding places as possible while making them look natural.

The plants were already in the tank prior to the cichlids, so I decided to include them in to provide some shade and greenery. Although the fishes are plant eaters in nature, so far they haven't been eating off any of the leaves.

So far here's the simple rockscape created for them. Looking forward to some algae growing on the rocks so they will look more natural, and the fishes can graze them for food.

Comments are most welcomed.
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
frontosa
Dragon

cool...nice and simple setup. I love it.

I see yellow lab and auratus (hope I remember this right). Watch out for aggression from the latter.
frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Young Man
Senior Dragon

nice scape with some greens (:
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
sharkzz
Arofanatic

Think the rocks are safe after proper washing..
Cos i also pick up my rocks from those grass patch.
sharkzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
nice scape with some greens (:
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontosa View Post
cool...nice and simple setup. I love it.

I see yellow lab and auratus (hope I remember this right). Watch out for aggression from the latter.
Indeed, the auratus are already exhibiting aggressive behaviour, chasing after other auratus (mainly chasing their own species so far). Didn't realise they would be more aggressive than the other inhabitants in the tank.

Besides the two species, I also have this third species which is mainly white in colour, though one exhibit a little pattern on its body too. May I know the ID of this species too? Thanks.

Also, I realised some of the cichlids have a sunken stomach; is this a result of starving in the LFS where I bought them from? Is there anything I can do? I realise they are usually less interested in the food I give them compared to the other 'non-sunken' cichlids.
Old 23-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkzz View Post
Think the rocks are safe after proper washing..
Cos i also pick up my rocks from those grass patch.
Glad to be hearing that. I was a little worried as I've forgotten to do a vinegar test before dipping them in.

Luckily I had picked up these rocks (about 8-10 of them) before I visited the LFS, else I might have to spend a bomb on them. The two rocks I bought already cost me quite a bit.

This morning, I realised there's some white residue on the surface, supposedly came from the rocks. I've scooped most of them away. Is this any cause for concern?
Old 24-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
frontosa
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveSurfer View Post
Also, I realised some of the cichlids have a sunken stomach; is this a result of starving in the LFS where I bought them from? Is there anything I can do? I realise they are usually less interested in the food I give them compared to the other 'non-sunken' cichlids.
This may be a cause for concern. Likely to be suffering from disease than under-nourishment. Keep monitoring.
frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
sharkzz
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontosa View Post
This may be a cause for concern. Likely to be suffering from disease than under-nourishment. Keep monitoring.
try feeding them more and see whether any improvement not.
I have 2 pcs if not fed for 2 days they will have sunken tummy also..
weird. cos just tat 2 pcs and they have been with me for months..
sharkzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Thanks for the pointers bros. Has been monitoring the two sunken cichlids; the yellow lab looks pretty okay and chasing after food but the other white one (biggest out of all the cichlids somemore) appear lethargic and though he does go for food, he doesn't seem too interested. Hope he will be okay.

Just added more rocks to the rockscape last night. Getting obsessed in providing more hiding places for the fishes.

Will upload some photos soon!
Old 25-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Oh and the cichlids started munching on the two smaller plants so moved the plants to another tank.