Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Ron R.

Default 50+ F1 Moba Fry from 2 wc Moba Mommas (with pics)!!!!

Here are a few pics I took this evening that I wanted to share with my arofanatic bros. I live in Houston, Texas USA.

I used an older Sony point and shoot digital camera. My middle daughter needed a camera for her photography class at Texas Tech so I got her a Nikon D5000 ($750+ set-up). Wish I had that camera this evening! LOL

close up of newbie F1's from my wc black moba momma. Notice the uneaten food being sucked up from the bottom. I fed frozen mysis this evening. The egg-bound wigglers will begin eating the food that comes their way. The adult F1 in the pic is a baby of my wc black moba momma. He has one eye only that he damaged himself trying to get at a smaller juvie in his territory. He rubbed it against the sandy bottom in a holey rock area. He has beautiful coloring.

side by side tumblers with F1 moba wigglers!!!!!

floating nursery with 10 F1's

close up of floating nursery

lot of hiding going on since the lights were off and turned back on. I just installed the new Marineland LED lights. Got 2 36" lights on my 6 foot 180g tank. Plenty of nice light and the moba colors are not washed out.

wc mobas

traffic jam.............these wc mobas are not shy usually. They just got woken up.

Last pic for the evening before I put them to bed.

Hope you enjoyed the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
nicktc
Senior Dragon

Wow, looks like the morning traffic will be getting worse with the additional 50
nicktc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Young Man
Senior Dragon

wow congrats bro!your fishes sure know how to thank you for all your TLC you have given them yea
you do know there a couple of tanks here in singapore whereby you can offload some of those fries right hahahaha
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
foreverfrontosa
Senior Dragon

The GURU has once again bring us envy.

Congrats Ron.
foreverfrontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:20 AM   #5
Epiphone

Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing
Old 11-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
bennyliv
Dragon

wow, another success! Care to share size of mobas and how old are they?
bennyliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
FrontosaGuy

Wow your F1 have brilliant colors...
Old 12-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Eric Chan

Arofanatic

Hi Ron, I am new to Moba. This fish is unique. May I ask you to share your expeience? How old when the fish can breed? And what is the water parameter? ie ph and temperature. I read about this fish needs to live in cool water like 22C. Is that correct?
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
Betta Mania

[QUOTE=Eric Chan;8020368]

Hi Ron, I am new to Moba. This fish is unique. May I ask you to share your expeience?
Answer: You can pm to find out about Roy - He is living in USA and not in Singapore. He occassionally post here in AF
How old when the fish can breed?
Answer: It depends on many factors, generally most female frontosas breed about fifteen months and a male would be about three years

Lifespan for these gentle giants ar about fifteen to twenty five years or so.

And what is the water parameter?ie ph and temperature

Answer:The water in Lake Tanganyka is hard and alkaline with temperatureof 25 degrees C and p-h value of 7,8 .
I read about this fish needs to live in cool water like 22C. Is that correct?
Answer: Yes, Frontosas can be counted as scarce in the market especially Zaires as they need tog ot o great depht they can be found at a at a depth of 50 metres
Old 18-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #10
Ron R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyliv View Post
wow, another success! Care to share size of mobas and how old are they?
My wc moba colony ranges from 5" all the way up to over 11" for my alpha male. I have 1m/9f.

I bought them in Jan of 2005 so they will be soon celebrating 6 years in my 180g tank. Since they are wild-caught fish and began spawning within a few weeks I figure their ages range from 8-10 years old.

My oldest female surprised me with a batch of over 40 fry. All are doing well right now.

Someone recently asked me how many fry this wc moba colony has produced. I have kept records for the last 3 years and based on my slowest and best producing years my best guestimate would be around 760 fry!!! Amazing to me because mobas are one of the most difficult variety of fronts to breed.

I think the difficulty getting them to spawn in Singapore may be due to warmer water temps in your tanks.....over 83-84 degrees. My wc moba mommas spawn best in 77-79 degree water. My pH is 8.2-8.4. I do a 50% water change weekly and add a homemade cichlid buffer recipe to the water which consists of baking soda, epsom salt and Instant Ocean sea salt.

I feed my colony NLS Thera A, Dainichi Ultima, Supreme and Color FX sinking pellets. I mix them together and place in my refrigerator in a sealed container to maintain food freshness. For 10 adult fish I feed slightly over 1 tablespoon of this pellet combination daily and even skip a day or 2 during the week. I feed my fry NLS Thera A.........the smallest .5mm pellet size. I feed them 1x per day everyday.

Forever Frontosa is a member at www.cyphos.com and if you want to learn more about mobas, kitumbas, kaps, mikulas and other front varieties visit the website. I am a member there as well and you can do a search under Ron R. I have tons of pics there.

I share my experiences and knowledge with others (I have no secrets) that enjoy keeping fronts. I am still learning and have been keeping fronts since 1988. I want hobbyists to be successful so these beautiful fish can be enjoyed in your homes and businesses.

Thanks for all the compliments. My mobas appreciate it!!!! LOL

Last edited by Ron R.; 18-10-2010 at 02:07 AM.