Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 21-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
j69h
Arofanatic

Default 3ft tank possible 2 keep malawi

hi

thinking of keeping malawai cichlids e.g. moori (dolphin), eyebitter etc in a 3x1.5x1.5

is it possible to comm them & how many fishes & which species will u recommend (pls post some pics)

thkx in advance
j69h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
hayabusa

hi bro, yes it's possible. do provide them with hiding places in the enviroment
Old 23-09-2010, 03:17 AM   #3
j69h
Arofanatic

thkx for sharing

wat species would u recommend & how many
Old 24-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
hayabusa

i'm not really sure on that, not an experienced with malawis. perhaps other bros could help you out or you could read up and research on different species? sorry bro.
Old 24-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j69h View Post
thkx for sharing

wat species would u recommend & how many
this you got to read up more on your own and find out and decide which is the species and variant that you like (: cause what i recommend would be something that i like.. but it may not be something that you like.
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
Betta Mania

Thumbs up Malawi Cichlids???....

Bro, where Malawis are concerned, here is my 2cw....these Afriican cichlids come in 1001 size, temprements, colors. Personally based on my limited experience, I don't particularly select type but by colors. Personally I like the blues and the yellows. Here are the pics of my 5 x 2 x 2.

I keep assorted and don't worry about the numbers, somtimes you want the numbers to keep them distracted also provide lots of hiding place.

Malawis are undemanding, and they tolerate water changes well, Ph should be higher than most fishes 8+, Their diet varied, they are take anythingThey relish frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp. I gi ve the a mixture of Hikari gree and purple sinking pellets for goldfish. WC 20% weekly

Hope that helps bro

Last edited by Betta Mania; 05-10-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 26-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
frontosa
Dragon

Like Young Man said, what I like may not be what u like :-) But yeah go read up on what major families they have although I suppose no issues also if mixing all in since they all tend towards a more vegetative diet. Aggression is always a concern among them and overcrowding can help overcome that....but then you will have to be more hardworking on the WC.

My experience with malawis is that you need patience to grow them up and develop their potential. Eyebiters are very nice (had a very nice 5" once) but be careful of them preying on smaller tankmates.
frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
sharkzz
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontosa View Post
Like Young Man said, what I like may not be what u like :-) But yeah go read up on what major families they have although I suppose no issues also if mixing all in since they all tend towards a more vegetative diet. Aggression is always a concern among them and overcrowding can help overcome that....but then you will have to be more hardworking on the WC.

My experience with malawis is that you need patience to grow them up and develop their potential. Eyebiters are very nice (had a very nice 5" once) but be careful of them preying on smaller tankmates.
Ya.. totally agreed with bro here on the above..
Malawis can be very nice though they are cheap..
sharkzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:20 AM   #9
j69h
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Mania View Post
Bro, where Malawis are concerned, here is my 2cw....these Afriican cichlids come in 1001 size, temprements, colors. Personally based on my limited experience, I don't particularly select type but by colors. Personally I like the blues and the yellows. Here are the pics of my 5 x 2 x 2.

I keep assorted and don't worry about the numbers, somtimes you want the numbers to keep them distracted also provide lots of hiding place.

Malawis are undemanding, and they tolerate water changes well, Ph should be higher than most fishes 8+, Their diet varied, they are take anythingThey relish frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp. I gi ve the a mixture of Hikari gree and purple sinking pellets for goldfish. WC 20% weekly

Hope that helps bro

tkx for sharing
Old 01-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
sharkzz
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j69h View Post
tkx for sharing
Hope to see your malawis tank soon
sharkzz is offline   Reply With Quote