Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 26-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
skthk

Default Cost of a new 3 or 4feet tank ?

Hi guys, if I want to keep fishes like blue tang & yellow tang, what is the minimum size ?
& what's the cost, 1 that comes with sump & canbinet ?
Where can I do a window shopping for it ?
I dont seems to find any ? is all shops only keeps photo of tank only ?

why so many people when they shift house will come in here to sell off their tank, & many deals happens real fast.

thanks
Old 27-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
KaLiB

For keeping tangs, a 3x2x2 is the bare minimum you should have. However, I would recommend a 4x2x2(if space and budget allows) as the extra space allows you to stock more and bigger fishes in future. A 3x2x2 is more restricted in the fish species thats suitable to be kept in it. You can keep a small fish in a bigger tank but not a big fish in a smaller tank.

For a 3ft or 4ft tank, most of us would custom make it as such tanks would require thicker glass as compared to a freshwater setup of similar size. Most of the setups available at LFS are suited for freshwater than marine. The reason why we need thicker glass is that the pressure that a marine setup places on the glass is greater than a freshwater setup. Most us would approach tank makers to make our tanks,sumps and cabinets.

For a marine setup, just the maintank, sump and cabinet, a 3ft setup i would estimate it to be around $1000, for a 4ft setup, should be in the range of $1000-$1200. Prices could vary depending on requirements. Be prepared to spend a minimum of around $1000 just on the tank,sump and cabinet. I can't think of anywhere to do window shopping for them as these are mostly custom built by tank makers so its hard to physically see a new ready made marine setup.

For me, when i need to shop for a new marine setup, especially a bigger one like 3ft or 4ft, i'll mostly visit marine LFS, look at other member's marine setups to get ideas before i approach the tank maker to get my setup. It'll be good to spend time studying how the marine LFS and other members do their marine tanks to get ideas.

I guess, people sell their setups when they shift house could be to save the hassle of having to shift the tank and probably to get a new one when they move in to the new house. The deals are fast as i believe there's a considerable amount of savings when purchasing a 2nd hand marine setup as compared to a brand new one.