Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 27-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
IceBikers

Default what do i need for clown fish.. pls adsvise

Hi, i would like to get a small tank and a small nemo.no others else like anemone or any decoration, just a bare tank n nemo(save money) what equipment do i need?
i'm a newbie.

is clown fish easy to maintain?

Thank you.
Old 27-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
KaLiB

Firstly, welcome to the world of marine fishkeeping.

Quote:
Hi, i would like to get a small tank and a small nemo.no others else like anemone or any decoration, just a bare tank n nemo(save money)
I would certainly not recommend a completely bare tank. If you want to save money, at the very least, do have some rocks(limestones) for the fish to hide in when scared. Newly introduced fish tend to be a littie timid and may look for cover.

Marine fish are mostly harvested from the oceans rather than commercially bred. In nature, they would have rocks to take cover when they feel scared. A bare tank maybe very stressful for the fish and this could result in the fish falling ill easily and dying.

Quote:
what equipment do i need?
I would recommend that you readup deep_end's article here to gain an overall understanding of the marine fishkeeping hobby. No matter how simple your setup maybe, there will always be a certain amount of investment you have to make and certain steps to follow. The article would cover your question on what equipment would be needed.

Quote:
is clown fish easy to maintain?
Clownfish is not a very difficult specie to rear provided you setup the tank correctly and that you do your homework. Any marine specie is not easy to rear if you plunge into the hobby blindly and buy marine fish blindly.

In marine, there is no shortcut and you must do your own homework prior to entering this hobby. It is not possible for us to give you all the information as there is just simply too much to know, too many methods for us to put it all into 1 posting.

Even for a simple marine fish only tank, there are many different ways to set it up and the equipment to be used.
Old 27-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
Brian38

what are rocks(limestones) ?
Old 27-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
KaLiB

Those white coloured calcium carbonate based rocks, like those used in cichlid setups. Those rocks are safe for marine setups but the drawback is these rocks are dead rocks, no life in them.