Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 21-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #31
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjour2
Thanks all for your tremendous replies. Okay Bro Devilfire ,what is meant by p/p ? If it is the pipe , there is only one hole drilled at 20mm as the overflow pipe , and I intend to use a 2 pump system in Sump( one for weipro , one for return pipe)

Bro Jeff, w/o the glass compartment would be aright imo , if you been to cck ff oppo Farmart , there's one fs setup exactly like what I intend to do.

I am using Fish stand btw.
sorry, in layman term, p/p is pump, v/v is valve. it's in engineering term.
good 2 hear tat u r using 2 p/p altogether, i believe u will hav lesser problem encounter.
w/o the glass compartment, i agree it's fine. but take note u hav 2 place something(wire mesh at least) at the openning, 2 prevent the fishes being 'suck'.
Old 21-05-2004, 01:51 PM   #32
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue
Sorry for the language, I mean get a sump as big as possible which can fit under your stand or cabinet.
no... errr wat u mean by u can keep extra fishes??
Old 21-05-2004, 01:54 PM   #33
devilfire

Quote:
Here is a pic of my skimmate after 2 days, weipro 2012 using weipro 3000 (2500L/H), not very impressive, quite waterry.

In order to adjust the water level to the bottom of the cup, I need to almost close the outlet valve. Which means it can take much more flow without overflowing. I estimated 3500L/H will still be safe. Of course it is an estimation.
thanks 4 the pic but it's definitely overskimmed. i believe ur p/p is too great 4 a 2012.
u mean the water level is juz at the bottom of the cup?? i think tat's too high.
Old 21-05-2004, 01:57 PM   #34
devilfire

Quote:
Here is a pic of my sump. It is a 24"x12"x16" tank.

Very simple, the downflow is directed to the container at the leftwhich contains filter media. and at the right is a pump that pumps water up. And a skimmer of course.

The dead corals have no purpose, just can't find a place to store them hehe... The same goes with the sand. I intend to get a container to store the sand and make it into a mini DSB, may or may not help.
good man, idea liao liao. u will b the future DIY guru...
Old 21-05-2004, 03:10 PM   #35
Navyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire
no... errr wat u mean by u can keep extra fishes??
Having a sump means increasing your total volume. One of the factor that you determine how many fish you can keep in one tank is its water volume. The more water you have the more room you have for waste dilution and also the more the volume the more is the dissolved oxygen.
Old 21-05-2004, 03:20 PM   #36
Navyblue

Quote:
thanks 4 the pic but it's definitely overskimmed. i believe ur p/p is too great 4 a 2012.
u mean the water level is juz at the bottom of the cup?? i think tat's too high.
Yes I adjusted the water level to be just below the cup, perhaps it is too high. But to get this water level I probably only open 5% of the outlet valve. When I open fully the water level is just at the level of the outlet. Which means it is going to take a lot more flow for it to be get overflow when the valve is fully opened.

For a venturi skimmer, there is no pump that is too strong as long as the skimmer don't overflow. The higher the flow, the more air that you are going to draw from the venturi, the more bubbles is produced, the more foam is produced.
Old 21-05-2004, 03:20 PM   #37
bonjour2

Quote:
sorry, in layman term, p/p is pump, v/v is valve. it's in engineering term.
good 2 hear tat u r using 2 p/p altogether, i believe u will hav lesser problem encounter.
w/o the glass compartment, i agree it's fine. but take note u hav 2 place something(wire mesh at least) at the openning, 2 prevent the fishes being 'suck'.
HaHa okie , thanks for the abbreviation , I am not Engineer trained , but in midst of Economics training....hee hee hee.
Old 21-05-2004, 03:22 PM   #38
bonjour2

redcross

Also , yup I will be adding a Mesh Wire to the top to prevent fishes from sucking in. Aniway , for a overflow pipe of 20mm , to a 1.5ft by 1ft by 1ft tank , what type of return pump do you suggest , and the return pipe diameter ?
Old 21-05-2004, 03:23 PM   #39
Navyblue

Quote:
good man, idea liao liao. u will b the future DIY guru...
That was very flaterring.

Well what to do? This is what we poor reefer have to do, keep thinking of cutting cost to achieve the best performance.
Old 21-05-2004, 03:27 PM   #40
Navyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjour2
Also , yup I will be adding a Mesh Wire to the top to prevent fishes from sucking in. Aniway , for a overflow pipe of 20mm , to a 1.5ft by 1ft by 1ft tank , what type of return pump do you suggest , and the return pipe diameter ?
That's exactly what I do and so is many LFS.

As I said, get a pump about 4000L/H. The pipe diameter is not as crucial but best to be as close as the outlet of the pump. You will experience some loss of flow from much bigger or much smaller tubing.