Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 28-08-2004, 10:51 PM   #31
untouchables
Arofanatic

dymax t5 light set can support t5-ho tubes. tested with aquaz tubes and working fine.

t5-no output is same as fl except that it is more efficient, ie lesser heat produced. for lps, i suppose it should be ok if you use 2 tubes and depth is under 1.5 feet. however, i recommend going for t5-ho and i dun believe in paying a king's ransom for those branded ones. dymax with aquaz tubes, yeah!!!

fyi, t5-ho can support sps very nicely with depth of 2 feet. for 2 feet width tank, you need 6 tubes for good colouration and the heat produced is much lower than fl or mh, plus the whitish colour more appealing than the yellow of mh. after seeing a reefer excellent sps collection using 6 tubes of t5-ho, im convinced enough to want to go for t5-ho for my new tank, if that happens.

cheers!
untouchables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2004, 03:50 AM   #32
woonming

Erm, yes i saw a fish farm testing it out... on Dymax housing and it fire up but not sure if the ballast could handle HO tube for long term....

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchables
dymax t5 light set can support t5-ho tubes. tested with aquaz tubes and working fine.

t5-no output is same as fl except that it is more efficient, ie lesser heat produced. for lps, i suppose it should be ok if you use 2 tubes and depth is under 1.5 feet. however, i recommend going for t5-ho and i dun believe in paying a king's ransom for those branded ones. dymax with aquaz tubes, yeah!!!

fyi, t5-ho can support sps very nicely with depth of 2 feet. for 2 feet width tank, you need 6 tubes for good colouration and the heat produced is much lower than fl or mh, plus the whitish colour more appealing than the yellow of mh. after seeing a reefer excellent sps collection using 6 tubes of t5-ho, im convinced enough to want to go for t5-ho for my new tank, if that happens.

cheers!
Old 29-08-2004, 10:35 AM   #33
mansiz

Huh? You mean no need change the ballast and can use the original balllast on 24 watt tube for 2 feet? Any bro can verify that? But last time I ask the LFS they said cannot wor.
Old 29-08-2004, 11:15 AM   #34
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansiz
Huh? You mean no need change the ballast and can use the original balllast on 24 watt tube for 2 feet? Any bro can verify that? But last time I ask the LFS they said cannot wor.
I think woonming has already verified, he said that.... but he dunno how long the eballast can last though...
Old 29-08-2004, 04:23 PM   #35
KaLiB

If the ballast is not rated for the 24W T5 tube, don't use it, it may damage the light or ballast. Better safe than sorry, what if it catches fire.
Old 29-08-2004, 06:28 PM   #36
flame angel

I agree with Kalib! Don't try that Mansiz,u might set your house ablaze & barbacue your fish,if u don't complies with the electrical safety rule. Even if "NO" ballast could lights up a "HO" lightings u never know anything could happen if the ballast were overheating.
Old 29-08-2004, 09:15 PM   #37
mansiz

Yes I know bro kalib and bro flame angel, I'm aware of that and that is why I'm asking people who had tried it b4, but come to think of it, its still quite unsafe, so I would drop off that idea, hehe. I may just stick with my T5 NO for the time being. Btw bros, anyone got any cheap reccommandation for T5 HO (2 feet 24 watt) with hood and tubes all?
Old 29-08-2004, 09:34 PM   #38
KaLiB

For now, i think DIY is the only way to go if your looking for cheap and affordable HO T5s.

You can try to get someone to modify your existing light for you. Maybe dr_evil can help. Think he does light modification.
Old 29-08-2004, 09:39 PM   #39
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
For now, i think DIY is the only way to go if your looking for cheap and affordable HO T5s.

You can try to get someone to modify your existing light for you. Maybe dr_evil can help. Think he does light modification.
can look for Babarik also... from this forum.. he charges $30 for modification.. then the rest are eballasts, wirings etc etc which u have to pay as well...
Old 29-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #40
mansiz

Bro ekia, I can't find bro babarik name from the member list.