Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 13-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
8golden8

Default Can undergravel filters be used in densely planted aquariums?

I'm wondering if the roots of the plants will grow into the filter and clog it or cause other problems.
Will the debris collected under the filter act as fertilizer for the plants?
Old 13-02-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
8golden8

From my own research, I know that people who like planted tanks shy away from undergravel filters. One of the reasons for that is that plants seem to do better in finer gravel, while undergravel filters generally need coarse gravel in order to function properly.

In addition, there is the problem of plants interfering with a regular cleaning of an undergravel filters. One of the problems of an undergravel filters is that it will accumulate debris in the gravel. That can be easily cleaned with vacuuming or siphoning, but plants would be an impediment to getting that job done.

However, I know that some people maintain some great planted tanks with an undergravel filter. Obviously, it can be done, even if most plant enthusiasts don't seem to be fond of undergravel filters in their tanks.
Old 13-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #3
genes

Undergravel filters are never suitable for planted aquariums. In planted aquariums, you will need a layer of base fertilizer and gravel on top of it. Undergravel filter will suck all the base fertilizers away and re-introduce it back into the tank, creating a super huge mess of never ending cloudy/dirty water.
Old 13-02-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
jytong
Arofanatic

In planted aquarium, its a no, no to put undergravel filter. Unless you are looking at planting low maintenance plants such as moss.
jytong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
the_r0ck

Another point to that is that if the roots are too dense it might affect the flow rate of the filtration.

Either way, one should not use a UGF, there are alot of cannister or alternative filters which are very cheap and don't cost an arm or a leg.
Old 13-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
kenpier

the rock u major in what?
Old 14-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #7
reversebungee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpier View Post
the rock u major in what?
major? calvin major in planted tanks lah... hahaa

btw, i dun really like UGF anyway... not matter planted or not.
I last time use b4, not planted tank but, i often see fish and shrimps trapped below. and there is no other way to save them, u just had to remove everything and save that fish. Some even la-gi jia-let, trapped at the sides, die on the spot.

So if possible, get a cannister. (IMO a hang on filter is even better then UGF. Cheap too!)

cheers!
Old 14-02-2007, 01:06 AM   #8
the_r0ck

How come ask me for my major? In NTU ah? I got major and minor wor. Ha, make the best use of my school fees.

Anyway it is not impossible to have a UGF, but it is just that among common literature and word-of-mouth as well as personal experiences, it is not really that good a deal, especially for planted tanks.
Old 14-02-2007, 01:19 AM   #9
ah_hong84

Quote:
Originally Posted by reversebungee View Post
major? calvin major in planted tanks lah... hahaa

btw, i dun really like UGF anyway... not matter planted or not.
I last time use b4, not planted tank but, i often see fish and shrimps trapped below. and there is no other way to save them, u just had to remove everything and save that fish. Some even la-gi jia-let, trapped at the sides, die on the spot.

So if possible, get a cannister. (IMO a hang on filter is even better then UGF. Cheap too!)

cheers!
Hahaa, yar. I always like internal filter for planted. They are quiet and suitable for planted.
Old 14-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
8golden8

Thanks for all your input.
Now, I can see the whole picture clearly!