Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 26-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Navanod
Arofanatic

Interesting topic, because I'm going on a 1 month trip and also trying to automate the feeding.
Trial one of the cheapo $18 auto feeders with the transparent turnwheel thing. Not good.

It's impossible to get the amount to be consistent because of the clumping of the food from the moisture and there's no way the thing will be able to dispense algae wafers and other large sized shrimp food unless I crash the food first...

So I tried using fine grains of fish food (the one with the gold colored cap, dunno what Hong) as there're some Boraras in the tank too but will switch to the expensive hikari shrimp cuisine for the real trip. It was Ok for about a week, but food started getting soggy and sticking to the walls of the container after that. The clumping got real bad and sometimes very little comes out. Widening the hole causes a huge amount to be dumped into the tank. This will not do for a 1 month trip...

Finally bit the bullet and bought the Eheim auto feeder, which claims to prevent moisture. Food still gets abit damp and a small amount will stick to the walls after a few weeks, but because of the design of the turnwheel, any clumps (very little even after a month) do not get stuck at the exit so the amount that comes out each time is very consistent.

Still, it also suffers from not being able to dispense irregular shaped shrimp food, eg. wafers, and I cannot mix different sized food (the sizes will separate out by gravity).

I wonder how those with shrimp racks do? Many many auto feeders?
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Navanod
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
Just boil a piece of ketapang leaf till it soften and put into the tank. That's what I did to my tanks and the shrimps are happily grazing on them.
Fresh leaf? Where to get? I dare not pick from road side leh, later got something nasty on them
Old 26-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
avex30

hahaha wah bro chee you going for how long trip?
Old 26-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
cheetf
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
hahaha wah bro chee you going for how long trip?
No where. Just something that struck me while someone was talking about going for holidays and they had to send their dog to the pet hotel. Shrimp no hotel and no I am not sending them to your tank, thank you. Hahaha
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
Xmant
Dragon

Then...you may get someone to come your house to do feeding.
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
Koji™
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
Fresh leaf? Where to get? I dare not pick from road side leh, later got something nasty on them
Dried leaf of course bro.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
cheetf
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmant View Post
Then...you may get someone to come your house to do feeding.
I think will do more harm than good.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #18
avex30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
No where. Just something that struck me while someone was talking about going for holidays and they had to send their dog to the pet hotel. Shrimp no hotel and no I am not sending them to your tank, thank you. Hahaha
How u know I was going to suggest house them in my tank 1 st hahaha
Old 26-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #19
Navanod
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
Dried leaf of course bro.
Buy from LFS? Ok, will look out
Old 26-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
setan1500

Hmm is the ketapang leaves the leaves that c328 uses?I saw the uncle putting some dried leaves into a tank,not sure whether it was ketapang leaves.
As for auto feeder,i use an autofeeder (17$ yixiang Brand) quite okay, no splashing no problems quite opposite to the experience Navanod got.
Btw i use auto feeder for guppies.