Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 17-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
Aris
Arofanatic

Default Long Term Flood Control Plan In Pipeline

Was it not LKY and LHL that said floods are Acts of Mother Nature and no amount of engineering can prevent flooding. I feel like knocking the head of our erstwhile Minister Dr. Ibrahim Yacoob of MEWR for not doing a good job. His official statements, "Floods caused by intense rains," and it happens "Once every 50 years," insults the intelligence of all Singaporeans.

He has moved to another Ministry and again said somethings controversial. Guess foot in the mouth disease has affected them.

http://www.eco-business.com/news/lon...n-in-pipeline/

Long term flood control plan in pipeline
Published : Tuesday, November 15th, 2011
By : Channel News Asia
Category : Water
Region : Singapore
Tags : infrastructure, water security

Print This Post

Singapore is now at a point where it needs to embark on decades long plan for flood control infrastructure.

This is the assessment by Environment and Water Resources Minister, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan.

He said measures undertaken in the 1960s and 1970s have succeeded in easing the threat of prolonged floods, but events of the last few years have highlighted the need to improve infrastructure to cope with flash floods.

Dr Balakrishnan disclosed that in addition to reviewing the drainage system, the national water agency PUB has also commissioned an independent study to assess the possibility of a new diversionary canal off the Stamford Canal in Orchard Road, as well as a new retention pond in the same area.

But such projects are likely be costly and will have to be weighed against benefits.

But beyond building bigger drains and deploying better technology, Dr Balakrishnan said the public must also be seen as part of the solution.

This means taking their feedback and complaints seriously and encouraging them to post updates on flash floods.

He added that the volatile weather causing flash floods today can just as well result in droughts in the near future, and his greater concern is Singapore’s long term water security.

The way he intends to manage this is to design a infrastructure that can be used for flood as well as drought control.

The Marina Barrage for instance flushes out rain water during a storm, while keeping it in the Marina Reservoir during a dry spell.

Last edited by Aris; 17-11-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Spakase

Let's see what happens, everytime he speaks it's either nonsense or end in more speeches. But I must say he is quite unlucky to be ended up in an area of high controversy, if not careful would be a casualty. think it's a mistake to put him in this position, he should trade places with BG Tan and talk about Bukit Brown and railway tracks. Ah Tan would likely do very well in flood control.
Old 17-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
But beyond building bigger drains and deploying better technology, Dr Balakrishnan said the public must also be seen as part of the solution.

This means taking their feedback and complaints seriously and encouraging them to post updates on flash floods.

He added that the volatile weather causing flash floods today can just as well result in droughts in the near future, and his greater concern is Singapore’s long term water security..
From the days of 3 meals, to now, I think he has made a very sensible speech there. At least he is now showing us a side where he is telling us, he will listen to all feedbacks than take us as noise, which was how he responded to Lily Neo on the 3 meals.

And he also made a very good point that, floods today can also be droughts in future. So I think he has tried his best in that speech department, to think before he shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
he should trade places with BG Tan and talk about Bukit Brown and railway tracks. Ah Tan would likely do very well in flood control.
Errr... I think otherwise. Later he ask Army Boys to prepare sandbags (like Thailand) and keep huge warehouse of sandbags.

I don't think he will have much knowledge on urban infrastructure, military i won't doubt. Being a new minister in the civilian world, he may need some time to learn the ropes before being task into any big position.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
From the days of 3 meals, to now, I think he has made a very sensible speech there. At least he is now showing us a side where he is telling us, he will listen to all feedbacks than take us as noise, which was how he responded to Lily Neo on the 3 meals.

And he also made a very good point that, floods today can also be droughts in future. So I think he has tried his best in that speech department, to think before he shoot.

Errr... I think otherwise. Later he ask Army Boys to prepare sandbags (like Thailand) and keep huge warehouse of sandbags.

I don't think he will have much knowledge on urban infrastructure, military i won't doubt. Being a new minister in the civilian world, he may need some time to learn the ropes before being task into any big position.
I agree he has managed this pretty well compared to his predecessor. For now it is just talk until we know for sure he has made some preparations in equipping his department with the necessary tools to combat any severe floods. Our SAF I know have a good inventory of equipment which can be used to assist, especially the amphibious vehicles and the equipment belonging to Combat Engineers.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Spakase

Not only the 3 meals, but the culling issue, and the way he commented on the changes to the Women's Charter, this guy gives the impression he doesn't connect and decisions are made in a flimsy way. I doubt he understood the issues and their relevance.
Old 29-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
satan_gal
Dragon

I can never forget him as the Mass Murderer of Many Cats - Despite evidence showing that they were not carrying SARS.
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
loveikan
Arofanatic

Had never like him since the first time I saw him at one of the public carpark in Kallang Bahru.

I was in my car cleaning dashboard with a soft cloth as he parked his car just two lots away from mine.

He stared at me right after his car and continued to do so as he walked passed me.

That look of "you-know-who-i-am" and expected me to smile or greet him first.

I still remembered that day was his Meet-the-people session.

And of course I refused to anything except to stare back hard at him
loveikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
TWP1219
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveikan View Post
Had never like him since the first time I saw him at one of the public carpark in Kallang Bahru.

I was in my car cleaning dashboard with a soft cloth as he parked his car just two lots away from mine.

He stared at me right after his car and continued to do so as he walked passed me.

That look of "you-know-who-i-am" and expected me to smile or greet him first.

I still remembered that day was his Meet-the-people session.

And of course I refused to anything except to stare back hard at him
His Meet-the-people session at Kallang Bahru?
TWP1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
And we have to pay him big buck while being a trainnee??
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
therat
Arofanatic

That's why We paying $ to baby sis tin tin

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
therat is offline   Reply With Quote