Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 28-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #331
tokyogasmask

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackdeck View Post
Right , thats good , also just wondering... i see many large bichirs on some Japanese sites but very large bichirs I very rarely see , could it be that cb specimens dont acheive the size they get in the wild?
Pretty much the case mate.
CB tend to stay smaller.
F1 CB can reach wild sizes though.
Old 28-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #332
coldblood
Arofanatic

I had a sb endi which had faded markings (from dark to faint/missing markings as it grew larger) which i wish to rejuvenate (for another other bichirs for that matter)....

any bros and sifu can recommend any suggestion? I do not want to get red sand as a bro recommended as it will kill my sump and messy after a while... Some bros recommend I get a darker base tank for it to groom but others just say it will make the base color dark... any advice is welcome
coldblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #333
tokyogasmask

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblood View Post
I had a sb endi which had faded markings (from dark to faint/missing markings as it grew larger) which i wish to rejuvenate (for another other bichirs for that matter)....

any bros and sifu can recommend any suggestion? I do not want to get red sand as a bro recommended as it will kill my sump and messy after a while... Some bros recommend I get a darker base tank for it to groom but others just say it will make the base color dark... any advice is welcome
What is your current substrate and background?

All my Endlis, Congis and Ansorgiis black markings became faded when I kept on black sand. It also made the base color darker.
But the markings and contrast popped when kept on crushed garnet/quartz.

This is why most Bichir enthusiasts (at least that I know of here in Japan) swear by it.
Old 28-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #334
coldblood
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyogasmask View Post
What is your current substrate and background?

All my Endlis, Congis and Ansorgiis black markings became faded when I kept on black sand. It also made the base color darker.
But the markings and contrast popped when kept on crushed garnet/quartz.

This is why most Bichir enthusiasts (at least that I know of here in Japan) swear by it.
Hi bro. i am keeping them on bare (no substrate), dark blue based oyama tank with white light. It seems to help if I keep the lights on 24/7 and the markings for most of them seem to improve (maybe its just my eyes). Is the garnet/quartz the expensive 'red sand' that everyone is talking about? Its sold out everywhere once stock arrives....
coldblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #335
tokyogasmask

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblood View Post
Hi bro. i am keeping them on bare (no substrate), dark blue based oyama tank with white light. It seems to help if I keep the lights on 24/7 and the markings for most of them seem to improve (maybe its just my eyes). Is the garnet/quartz the expensive 'red sand' that everyone is talking about? Its sold out everywhere once stock arrives....
Yes, it is expensive, but looks great.

I would definitely use substrate if you want the markings on you endlis to "pop".
Old 29-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #336
songy

How about dennerle black quartz? I put abit into my 2ft tank for the moke. Don't dare to put alot. I'm afraid it might swallow it when eating or something. Okay. Maybe I'm abit paranoid. Hahaa. Please enlighten me
Old 29-03-2011, 01:57 AM   #337
BeTtA_GeNe
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by songy View Post
How about dennerle black quartz? I put abit into my 2ft tank for the moke. Don't dare to put alot. I'm afraid it might swallow it when eating or something. Okay. Maybe I'm abit paranoid. Hahaa. Please enlighten me
bro i dont think thats a problem lah...people have been using various types of substrate for their birchirs..
BeTtA_GeNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 02:14 AM   #338
sixthbrand
Dragon

hi shifus... what's the min tank size dimension req for bichirs? lets say 2-3pcs... so that no further tank upgrade in the future is req... buy 1 time settle alr
sixthbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #339
bichirfunk

hi sixthbrand,

A 4ft by 2ft tank is ok already. But usually, after getting 2 or 3, you will want to buy a couple more. It happens when you drop by LFS to get supplies and then notice other polypterus that fancy ur eyes.
Old 29-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #340
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
hi shifus... what's the min tank size dimension req for bichirs? lets say 2-3pcs... so that no further tank upgrade in the future is req... buy 1 time settle alr
depends on which species u intend to keep.
Schmike is offline   Reply With Quote