Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 07-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Calsberg
Dragon

Default Piston vs diaphragm based air pumps

Hi bros / sis

I have been using a diaphragm based air pump my entire life as an aquatic hobbyist. My most recent air pumps were the Sonic Hiblow P-45 series which served me well in terms of output. I just got tired of replacing burst / torn diaphragm which seems to happen a bit too regularly for my liking.

Anyway, I purchased a Hailea ACQ-318 air 'compressor' which is piston based.

I am totally new to this.

I would appreciate any insights or advice from anyone on the 'dos and dont' for this compressor including any thoughts on servicing required for optimal pump operation. FYI, I'm comfortable to take things apart and assemble them back (just that I wont do it on a new unit).

As usual, any assistance will be reciprocated with upz (if you didnt get it means I need distribute to others before coming back to you). Many thanks !

Cheerz
Calsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
sirwin81
Senior Dragon

how is the sound like? i was considering a bigger model ACO 380 but then was told the sound is quite loud. so ended up going for hailea hap120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calsberg View Post
Hi bros / sis

I have been using a diaphragm based air pump my entire life as an aquatic hobbyist. My most recent air pumps were the Sonic Hiblow P-45 series which served me well in terms of output. I just got tired of replacing burst / torn diaphragm which seems to happen a bit too regularly for my liking.

Anyway, I purchased a Hailea ACQ-318 air 'compressor' which is piston based.

I am totally new to this.

I would appreciate any insights or advice from anyone on the 'dos and dont' for this compressor including any thoughts on servicing required for optimal pump operation. FYI, I'm comfortable to take things apart and assemble them back (just that I wont do it on a new unit).

As usual, any assistance will be reciprocated with upz (if you didnt get it means I need distribute to others before coming back to you). Many thanks !

Cheerz
sirwin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Calsberg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwin81 View Post
how is the sound like? i was considering a bigger model ACO 380 but then was told the sound is quite loud. so ended up going for hailea hap120
Hi Bro !

The sound is negligible to me - perhaps it is drowned out by the sound of the tank water overflowing to the sump. Given the compressor unit is quite small & 'naked' - it is quiet to me. The Hiblow is muffled with internal sound dampeners but is quite loud without it.

The output of my compressor is less than the P-45 Hiblow (cant recall the stated output rating though). So they are not really comparable. Maybe the ACO-380 is (exponentially ?) louder bcos it is certainly more powerful by quite a bit.

Cheerz
Old 08-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

From a koi keeper's perspective...

Diaphragm blower = louder, more maintenance but more service pressure.
This mean that they work better in deeper ponds (5ft+)

Piston blower = quieter. Less vulnerable to damage (diaphragm can rupture if valve is closed when pump is operating) Main downside is reduced operating pressure.

Compare the pump curves of Hiblow 80 vs Medo 80 for example.
The Medo is dead silent whilst there is a noticeable hum from the Hiblow.

I am buying a Medo 80/120 this weekend at the Kii show to replace my Hiblow 80. Will see if I can do some A/B videos.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
Calsberg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
From a koi keeper's perspective...

Diaphragm blower = louder, more maintenance but more service pressure.
This mean that they work better in deeper ponds (5ft+)

Piston blower = quieter. Less vulnerable to damage (diaphragm can rupture if valve is closed when pump is operating) Main downside is reduced operating pressure.

Compare the pump curves of Hiblow 80 vs Medo 80 for example.
The Medo is dead silent whilst there is a noticeable hum from the Hiblow.

I am buying a Medo 80/120 this weekend at the Kii show to replace my Hiblow 80. Will see if I can do some A/B videos.

Awesome information Bro - thanks so much for sharing this !

Cheerz
Old 09-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
millenium
Senior Dragon

Piston pump a lot more expensive?
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote