Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 03-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #11
Schmike
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthbrand View Post
By thru the night you mean like from 12am-8am that kinda hours and your bichirs still alive?

Wow.. My endy was only out for 3-4hours max.. Found it barely alive, threw it back into the tank, it was losing alot of it's slimes, bleeding from the external gills (still a juv) mouth and body.. Died within half an hour.
Longest will be 12+ till 6+. They were not bleeding when I found them. I think happened more than once. Most of the time is where and how they land. If during landing they hit certain vital organs or what most likely even 30 mins they also won't make it. If no serious damage, they can last for hours out of water.
Schmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
GetzGT
Arofanatic

Thanks for all the advises. My Palmas jumped twice already. Once when I just introduced him into my tub, I saw it jumped and landed on the floor. Took it up and place back in without any problem.

2nd jump was in the night but not sure what time. I woke up in the morning and saw it dried up on the floor. I was like . Lucky he survived the jump and now still in the tub swimming slowly around once in awhile.. Hopefully it will be fine.

I keeping it in my 3ft x 2ft x 1ft (H) guppy tub for the time being. Still waiting for my new place to be ready as I have already gotten a 4ft x 2.5ft x 2ft cabinet tank to be shifted into.
GetzGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #13
sixthbrand
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmike View Post
Longest will be 12+ till 6+. They were not bleeding when I found them. I think happened more than once. Most of the time is where and how they land. If during landing they hit certain vital organs or what most likely even 30 mins they also won't make it. If no serious damage, they can last for hours out of water.
Ya now that u mentioned it.. It must've hit the ledge of my stand or sth.. Felt really guilty that it died. Didn't manage to cover up all the holes properly.
sixthbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #14
nid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
nid, I posted in last thread, pg 37, #364. Pic 1,2 & 4 from AH.
Oh..... so u are the unknown haha, nice catches bro. Didn't see u that day. I reach 1 bag missung already
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthbrand View Post
Thanks for the breakdown bro.. Evidently u're still feeling sore!! Bro be happy man. Always look on the bright side, there's always gona be another shipment. Only a matter of time.

Let it recover and post it up, see who's interested

Yes Roy! Koliba please!!!
Wah bro, dun say until like that mah. I'm not sore lah. In fact i'm very happy as i just got a beautiful azul yesterday. The koliba is doing well in my tank. Actively hunting feeders.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
GetzGT
Arofanatic

It seems like a lot of the birchir keepers here like to use sand/substrate for their tanks. Is it difficult to maintain? I know it look good and nice but won't the fishes' waste get caught in them and foul up the water parameters?

I am currently planning for my in coming tank with IOS filter system. What can use as the substrate and will it get suck up by the filter system? Where to get? The Oyama colour will be blue for my new 2nd hand tank. Is this ok cause I will be keeping Tigers too.

Sorry for my questions as I am very new with Birchirs, was previously into goldfishes.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #16
Ben
Dragon

I have one of the kolibas, will post a picture when I get the time. Tank undergoing major revamp

Taking out existing lapis sand to be replaced by something else.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #17
Sunday
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetzGT View Post
It seems like a lot of the birchir keepers here like to use sand/substrate for their tanks. Is it difficult to maintain? I know it look good and nice but won't the fishes' waste get caught in them and foul up the water parameters?

I am currently planning for my in coming tank with IOS filter system. What can use as the substrate and will it get suck up by the filter system? Where to get? The Oyama colour will be blue for my new 2nd hand tank. Is this ok cause I will be keeping Tigers too.

Sorry for my questions as I am very new with Birchirs, was previously into goldfishes.
Hey Henry! Personally i think sand is relatively easy to maintain. But one thing i do when i first pour in the sand is to stir it before i start the filter because there will be many bubbles trapped under so by stirring(with your hand), you will see all the bubbles rise to the top. Subsequently, don't stir it too much as any anaerobic gases stuck underneath can be lethal. Sand is okay because it is too light to trap waste although larger gravels can still do so.

Sand/gravel you can find anywhere man! And if it's sand, it will definitely get sucked up the filter unless you have a sponge or pre-filter.
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
GetzGT
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Hey Henry! Personally i think sand is relatively easy to maintain. But one thing i do when i first pour in the sand is to stir it before i start the filter because there will be many bubbles trapped under so by stirring(with your hand), you will see all the bubbles rise to the top. Subsequently, don't stir it too much as any anaerobic gases stuck underneath can be lethal. Sand is okay because it is too light to trap waste although larger gravels can still do so.

Sand/gravel you can find anywhere man! And if it's sand, it will definitely get sucked up the filter unless you have a sponge or pre-filter.
Hey bro! Nice to see U here. I am still debating whether to go for substrate. If not, U think birchirs will show there 'real' colours in a blue tank? Headache.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #19
nid

Quote:
Hey bro! Nice to see U here. I am still debating whether to go for substrate. If not, U think birchirs will show there 'real' colours in a blue tank? Headache.
to my best knowleadge, black is best for bichir.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #20
washywashy
Dragon

Quote:
I'd opt for a red base with black on the 3 sides. My tigers are doing well with reddish substrate and black surroundings
washywashy is offline   Reply With Quote