Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #31
O_jigger
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
I believe flat or snake head shape or not, depends on wat u getting. Endli flat head and pbb more snake head. Any bros pl correct me if i wrong
Bro thanks for sharing.
So meaning to say snake like head inthe sense that the head shape is squarish and blocky? Like dragon head?
O_jigger is offline  
Old 26-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
G2Red
Dragon
 
G2Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_jigger View Post
May i know. When we are looking to purchase pbbs. What do we look out for in them? Hope to learn more before i take the plunge.
Generally headshape...contrasts...finlet count...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Yeah, same q on my mind. Appreciate our exp bro here to provide info.
Eg ytd i saw one piece with flatter head and v thick and long sexy lips but colors is grayish and light as opposed to brown/green.
Headshape is quite subjective...colour will differ from environment...usually is just how prominent the base colour is as compare to patterning...in LFS cannot really tell its colour cause no set up for them to colour up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_jigger View Post
Bro you see at JZX? I too was there the other day. See until my eye blur. But not sure how to choose.

I read before on the finlet count. And also the head shape. Some people tell me dragon head, some tell me snake like feature head, some say flat head. I am getting confused.

Really hope to learn more from more experienced bros here.
Best is choose a pc that you like...as these wild fishes each have their unique features...
G2Red is offline  
Old 26-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #33
Luc
Senior Dragon
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 3,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_jigger View Post
Bro thanks for sharing.
So meaning to say snake like head inthe sense that the head shape is squarish and blocky? Like dragon head?
Guess so, lets see wat the sifus hv to say
Anyway, a video to poison u
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2DAkz...eature=related
Luc is offline  
Old 26-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #34
Luc
Senior Dragon
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 3,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Red View Post
Generally headshape...contrasts...finlet count...



Headshape is quite subjective...colour will differ from environment...usually is just how prominent the base colour is as compare to patterning...in LFS cannot really tell its colour cause no set up for them to colour up...



Best is choose a pc that you like...as these wild fishes each have their unique features...
Thanks bro, indeed saw some gray, some mix green/brown and some totally green. I just picked one with perfect finages and mix of green/brown.
I guess shape will come once the pumping starts
Luc is offline  
Old 26-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #35
Nidd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

As many mentioned, its mainly head shape, finlet count and contrast.

For me I start with the head. This is personal preference. I think just forget abt snake head and all that, everyone has their own opinion. I prefer flatter, longer, spoon heads with fierce looking eyes for PBB.

Finlet count, many will look for 17 finlets, to me not important. 15 or 17 it's still a Chad and not a Turkuna.

Contrast, colour wise hard to tell in the shop and it changes with the environment. It's mostly a roll of the dice of this. My own pbb went from green to brown just because of a small change in my tank substrate. So for me, I look out for pattens instead. Subjective again, for me I prefer complete markings. Like the vertical bars from top to bottom all joined and all the way to tail with symmetrical like spacing. But i also look out for the contrast for the lighter areas and darker areas. It's hard to tell u exactly what I mean but I shall share a pic I have posted before of my koliba to give u an understanding because my pbb is not the most perfect pc in my eyes while this koliba is.



For me personally, I dun bother looking at the condition of the finlets or fish itself unless it is really bad like 1 whole finlet gone all the way to the roots. Because bichirs are really hardy fishes can will recover from their wounds easliy. I have bought pcs missing the whole lower lip until the gums and teeth all showing. Or even those missing almost the whole tail. They have all recovered nicely. Even those with broken finlets. So those miss out on nice pcs just because it doesn't look perfect, after the shipping, there are sure to be damages. But as long as it is only skin deep, nothing to worry abt.

Hope this helps.
 
Old 26-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #36
ZhenXiang
Dragon
 
ZhenXiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 578
Default

Long time no update my bichirs, threw some pellets to make them move around, if not, all stone stone ...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
ZhenXiang is offline  
Old 26-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #37
TRIX
Senior Dragon
 
TRIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,962
Default

Well for me, I do not have any specific preferences on choosing a bichir. It all depends on what is available on the shipment/arrival day (well, sometime what you want you can't get as bros before me may have already booked their picks with their eyes) and then decide what is left available for me to buy. If I'm lucky, I'm still able to get some decent ones. Therefore, not one of my bichirs are quite alike the other. I ended up having a huge varieties!
TRIX is offline  
Old 26-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #38
Luc
Senior Dragon
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 3,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
As many mentioned, its mainly head shape, finlet count and contrast.

For me I start with the head. This is personal preference. I think just forget abt snake head and all that, everyone has their own opinion. I prefer flatter, longer, spoon heads with fierce looking eyes for PBB.

Finlet count, many will look for 17 finlets, to me not important. 15 or 17 it's still a Chad and not a Turkuna.

Contrast, colour wise hard to tell in the shop and it changes with the environment. It's mostly a roll of the dice of this. My own pbb went from green to brown just because of a small change in my tank substrate. So for me, I look out for pattens instead. Subjective again, for me I prefer complete markings. Like the vertical bars from top to bottom all joined and all the way to tail with symmetrical like spacing. But i also look out for the contrast for the lighter areas and darker areas. It's hard to tell u exactly what I mean but I shall share a pic I have posted before of my koliba to give u an understanding because my pbb is not the most perfect pc in my eyes while this koliba is.



For me personally, I dun bother looking at the condition of the finlets or fish itself unless it is really bad like 1 whole finlet gone all the way to the roots. Because bichirs are really hardy fishes can will recover from their wounds easliy. I have bought pcs missing the whole lower lip until the gums and teeth all showing. Or even those missing almost the whole tail. They have all recovered nicely. Even those with broken finlets. So those miss out on nice pcs just because it doesn't look perfect, after the shipping, there are sure to be damages. But as long as it is only skin deep, nothing to worry abt.

Hope this helps.
Bro, may i knw wat is the significant of finlets counts? What if more than 17?
Any preferences which river it comes from? And if there is a black dot near the rear, does it matter?
Luc is offline  
Old 26-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #39
Luc
Senior Dragon
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 3,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhenXiang View Post
Long time no update my bichirs, threw some pellets to make them move around, if not, all stone stone ...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Wow! Nice, esp those endli and the kelberi.
Luc is offline  
Old 26-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #40
G2Red
Dragon
 
G2Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
As many mentioned, its mainly head shape, finlet count and contrast.

For me I start with the head. This is personal preference. I think just forget abt snake head and all that, everyone has their own opinion. I prefer flatter, longer, spoon heads with fierce looking eyes for PBB.

Finlet count, many will look for 17 finlets, to me not important. 15 or 17 it's still a Chad and not a Turkuna.

Contrast, colour wise hard to tell in the shop and it changes with the environment. It's mostly a roll of the dice of this. My own pbb went from green to brown just because of a small change in my tank substrate. So for me, I look out for pattens instead. Subjective again, for me I prefer complete markings. Like the vertical bars from top to bottom all joined and all the way to tail with symmetrical like spacing. But i also look out for the contrast for the lighter areas and darker areas. It's hard to tell u exactly what I mean but I shall share a pic I have posted before of my koliba to give u an understanding because my pbb is not the most perfect pc in my eyes while this koliba is.



For me personally, I dun bother looking at the condition of the finlets or fish itself unless it is really bad like 1 whole finlet gone all the way to the roots. Because bichirs are really hardy fishes can will recover from their wounds easliy. I have bought pcs missing the whole lower lip until the gums and teeth all showing. Or even those missing almost the whole tail. They have all recovered nicely. Even those with broken finlets. So those miss out on nice pcs just because it doesn't look perfect, after the shipping, there are sure to be damages. But as long as it is only skin deep, nothing to worry abt.

Hope this helps.
nice koliba....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhenXiang View Post
Long time no update my bichirs, threw some pellets to make them move around, if not, all stone stone ...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
ZhenXiang....that Congicus...
G2Red is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)