Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Product Reviews

Old 12-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
Dodo™

Default Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

I had got my hands on the above mentioned device about 2weeks ago.

Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

In simple terms, it's an PRECISE automatic top up water. The individual equipments include an AC adaptor, a Tunze 5017 controller, one optical sensor :brow: , a safety float sensor, a metering pump, a rubber tubing for the metering pump and lastly two holding devices for the two sensor.

Here is the look at the equipments laid out, fresh from the box.

The metering pump is a small pump with the capabilities of 0.9 m: 52l/h, 1.5m: 47l/h, 2m: 27l/h, Hmax: 2.2m that operates at a extra low voltage of 9v-12v.

Initial stage of the using it might gives you some sort of grandmother grumbling noise. As times goes by, the noise is significantly reduce to a mere negligible sound.

The pump has an in-built safety device that will de-activate itself when it has run continuously for 10mins and will not activate itself when it is dry

Next will be the Tunze controller 5017. It looks like a typical Tunze single controller for their controllable devices(e.g a stream). This acts as the command centre between the sensors and the metering pump. Activating the pump when the water level in my sump falls below optical sensor and stopping the pump when water level hits the sensor. It also gives out a warning sound when the water level in the sump had reach the maximum level, stipulated by the safety float sensor.

Overall I rate this device 9/10 for it's neat & sleak design and it's precise ability to constantly refill evaporated water in my tank. I had no intention to discredit the DIY top up device invented by local hobbyist. In fact my admiration for their innovations is always within myself.

A note worth taking note is the possible siphoning effect of the metering pump from the reservoir to the sump. I encountered this on the very first night of operation, waking me up from my sleep :wacko: to hear the controller sounding off which indicates a flood. Upon checking with my blurry eyes, I discover that the siphoning effect has cause the controller to sound the flood alarm. I solved this problem easily with a one-way valve which we usually use for our CO2 tank.

Hope my review is clear & simple.

For those who might be interested, take a look here
Old 12-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
monsterz1975

Wow looks good . How much u paY for it?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Wow looks good . How much u paY for it?
Pretty neat .. my hands itchy liao as the other tank doesn't have any top-up system and the retail price is so attractive at S$245.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:35 PM   #4
DaY1

nice...notice that the float sensor is hook up using the tunze holder. Always worried about float sensor using those stick-on plastic material dropping off. But if using the tunze holder, shouldn't have this problem
Old 16-04-2005, 12:53 AM   #5
weehian

great product, great review.....optical sensor .....
with the precise control, salinity will fluctuate less, especially relevant when using a big sump in which water level fluctuates minimally after litres of water is lost.
Old 15-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
powderblue

Default Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

knowing that u r using this.. may i check what piping is use for the pump? Coz i need to connect to a kalk stirrer.. thanks

so far so gd?
Old 19-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
maddiericola

any cons for the product?