Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 25-04-2004, 06:51 PM   #11
soops

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
Since you have no livestock, don't change water its not necessary. You need the nh3 and no2 in the water to get the bacteria growing. Only after cycling is done, you may want to do a water change to reduce no3.

Don't buy the nutrafin bacteria. All these bacteria solutions don't help much at all, just run the tank and let nature take its course, its better.
ok dan wat to do wait loh ...but u think my filter gd enough ...any idea whether those canister fiiter can lay flat n use instead of standing up right no space lah lay flat i can put underneath my tank stand but no standing spaceif upright.
Old 25-04-2004, 07:28 PM   #12
KaLiB

Nope. Lay flat you may make it leak.

What about hang-on filter? Their space saving too, can hang on the side of the tank.

I never liked overhead filters, so i will ask you to change for sure
Old 25-04-2004, 08:33 PM   #13
Cardinal Tetra

You can try using an internal power filter, I am using one now. It creates the same water circulation as a powerhead.
Old 26-04-2004, 11:01 PM   #14
soops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra
You can try using an internal power filter, I am using one now. It creates the same water circulation as a powerhead.
must buy wat brand i thought want to make my own filter but dun know is it a gd idea.wat is the difference btw a canister type and internal or overflow ..anyway wat is the best recomended filter for marine fish
Old 26-04-2004, 11:02 PM   #15
soops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra
must buy wat brand i thought want to make my own filter but dun know is it a gd idea.wat is the difference btw a canister type and internal or overflow ..anyway wat is the best recomended filter for marine fish
Old 26-04-2004, 11:05 PM   #16
soops

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansiz
In my opinion, no need to change water, since there is no livestock in the tank, let NH3, NO2 be there, it won't matters, let the nitrifying bacteria build up, and wait patiently for the NO2 and NH3 to be 0. No matter how long, just wait and it will drop. Some ppl wait for 8 weeks before it became 0. Mine I waited for 5 weeks before the last drop of NO2 gone.
too late i had oredi change the water 20% does it mean i need to restart n wait again
Old 26-04-2004, 11:18 PM   #17
eiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by soops

Single most important equipment for marine is SKIMMER! Thats my thought. Bro seems like you need to do alot more reading up.
Old 26-04-2004, 11:55 PM   #18
ah goh

the best recomended is the sump filtration. since u already started.... i think u stick with the overhead or buy a cannister but will cause some problems later on too.
Old 27-04-2004, 12:00 AM   #19
soops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah goh
the best recomended is the sump filtration. since u already started.... i think u stick with the overhead or buy a cannister but will cause some problems later on too.
i know but there is no fish now i hope i can rectify the problem so wat is a sump filter .can tell me more .no place to put canister filter if not buy liao...
Old 27-04-2004, 12:08 AM   #20
KaLiB

Quote:
Originally Posted by soops
too late i had oredi change the water 20% does it mean i need to restart n wait again
Nevermind, if there's still ammonia/nitrite in the water, just let the tank continue running.

Best filter i'll recommend is of course the sump filtration, i would recommend you to get a protein skimmer to assist your current filter. If space is a concern, there are hang-on models of skimmers like Weipro or Red Sea Prizm skimmer.

A sump filter is basically just another tank placed below your current tank. It is partitioned so that you can have a section for the skimmer, a refugium and filter media. Water flows into the sump by gravity through a pipe and is pumped back to the maintank via a pump. An overflow box is used for water to flow from the maintank into the pipes.

Here are some websites on sumps, their good reads:
Sumps Part1
Sumps Part2
Sumps Part3

Looks like you have alot of research ahead of you, better do more reading up while you still have the chance. Reading up will save you alot of money and unnecessary livestock death/suffering.