Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 05-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
typhoon75

Default Need help with Sump

Am having ideas to modify my current 3ft(L) by 1.5 ft(W) by 2 ft(HT) tank to a marine tank. Am thinking of doing a sump for it. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to the size of the sump and the design. Have read about a refugium, any idea what is the exact use and how do I incorporate it into the sump? Thanks!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:13 PM   #2
KaLiB

A refugium is basically just another tank that is filled with macroalgae that is for nutrient export. Its also like a safe refuge for pods to grow there without being eaten. It can be incorporated into the sump as 1 compartment or as a hang-on unit. Just make sure that there's sufficient space to mount a light in the refugium for macroalgae to grow.

The design, i think there's no fixed rule, i've been looking at sump designs before i got my new tank and almost everyone has his/her own design. But what i've seen people normally have is 1 compartment for the filter media(mechanical+biological+chemical), 1 compartment for the protein skimmer and 1 compartment for the return pump. You can choose to have the pump connected externally and use that compartment for something else. An advantage of having an externally mounted pump is that there would be less heat in the water as compared to putting the pump in the sump.

I guess for a 3x1.5x2 maintank, a 2x1.5x1 sump would be sufficient or maybe smaller/bigger also can depending on the space available. Like design, i believe there's also no fixed size for the sump, just make sure its big enough to hold whatever things you want to have in it. Try to have a long and wide sump rather than a tall one so that your maintank won't end up being too tall and spoil all the viewing pleasure. However, the pump may have to be mounted externally due to the limited space.

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/kalib/mynew4x2x2/
Check out my gallery, the 2nd pic is my sump tank. Its a 3x20"x20" sump, the left most compartment is the filter compartment, the middle big space you see is for the macroalgae refugium and the right most compartment is just an empty space for water to fill up before being pumped up to the maintank via an external pump.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:18 PM   #3
devilfire

kalib, u hav a BIG refugium man!
where u gonna place ur skimmer?
Old 05-05-2004, 11:19 PM   #4
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon75
Am having ideas to modify my current 3ft(L) by 1.5 ft(W) by 2 ft(HT) tank to a marine tank. Am thinking of doing a sump for it. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to the size of the sump and the design. Have read about a refugium, any idea what is the exact use and how do I incorporate it into the sump? Thanks!
u might 1 2 take a look into my gallery. there's a pic on my sump-a very simple 1, similar 2 kalib's.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:20 AM   #5
eiki

For me, I just buy 4 pieces of glass and DIY a normal 2' tank into a sump. Very easy to do. Cost around $15 for glass and silicone.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:29 AM   #6
KaLiB

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire
kalib, u hav a BIG refugium man!
where u gonna place ur skimmer?
Unfortunately, i have totally forgotten about that and only realised i forgot about that after i got it done.

However, in the end i have managed to fit a Weipro into the small gap before the Refugium.

Yup, i made it bigger(2'x20"x1') than what people would normally have, so can put more liverocks,sand and macroalgae in there. Thought of keeping some critters in there for fun as well.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:31 AM   #7
slcw

i agree with Kalib, there is no fixed size of sump...but of course bigger the better.

but i strongly suggest separate compartments for filter, 1 for mechancial, 1 for biological and 1 for chemical. Go vertical if space is constraint.

leave 1 sponge partition above water before trickle is good, as when u remove the sponge less dirt falls back into the water.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #8
devilfire

[QUOTE=slcw]i agree with Kalib, there is no fixed size of sump...but of course bigger the better.

?????????
Old 06-05-2004, 02:53 PM   #9
slcw

Smile

[QUOTE=devilfire]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcw
i agree with Kalib, there is no fixed size of sump...but of course bigger the better.

?????????
i mean...i agree there is no fixed size of sump...it can be any size u wish.

my opinion, sump if bigger would be better.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:04 PM   #10
typhoon75

Thanks guys, u have been really helpful!! Anyway I noticed that u guys just left a compartment for the refugium. Am I right to say that you place live rocks in there and no filter medium?