Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 05-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #71
Sunday
Dragon

contain *no fertilizers and are purely organic. (sorry typo)
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #72
alvloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
I find it odd that you used sand as a base under the the soil. If you wanted the height a bit higher, you could've used organic soil. Those used in gardens are perfectly fine and there are many benefits of using it as an "undercoat" but you must make sure they contain to fertilizers and are purely organic lest you get a lot of dead fishes!

And also, might i suggest next time you put in some soil around the 4 edges of the tank first, then put the sand in the center then cover everything up with the remaining soil so you won't get the weird edges in the front of the tank where you can see both the soil and the sand beneath it. This is a planted tank afterall so you'll want it as beautiful as possible. It's a really beautiful tank and the set up is lovely although i'm with you on the height of the stand. That must be the Michael Jordan of all stands! Would love to see more updates on a fully grown and flourishing tank!

Here's what i was talking about regarding the edges. Look at step 6. This link is for using mineralized soil whereas what i was talking about is just purely organic potting soil as an "undercoat", two different things. Courtesy of aquaticplantcentral.com

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-talbot.html
Hi Sunday thanks for the comments.

I had used sand as base as I'm trying to create a layered look....but did a bad job as I didn't level them evenly thus created this uneven layers.... Think I made a mistake using sand cos was told by the LFS that was the old method it's best just to use soil.
Will try it when if I start a new 3ft next round.

Read thru the setup from the thread and it looks really complicated. As for me I had just washed the sand and cycled it in my tank for like 4-5days before I started planting...
See step 5 he actually added "Clay"..!!! really something new to me...

But the end-results does look solid....
Old 05-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #73
alvloh

After heeding the advice from experts here.....bought another canister to better generate the water flow...

The additional pipping to be hanged on the side meaning that I'm only left with the front view of my tank...quite unsightly actually but no choice...

3 weeks full view of my tank...Some melt off while some still hanging on strong...
My Hairgrass are not spreading as I have hope...wondering what went wrong...
Old 06-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #74
deman88

Nice setting Tank, thx for sharing
Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #75
alvloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by deman88 View Post
Nice setting Tank, thx for sharing
Thanks....waiting for it to grow mature...
Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #76
Heuer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvloh View Post
Ah Tan had his own custom made canister...diffuser...etc. The external temp is also done by him...very impressive.

As for the CO2, I'm using a diffuser that is connected canister outflow.... I've noticed the CO2 does float to the end of the tank. Thus my glosso is able to generate O2 bubbles...
OIC. do you have a pic how your diffuser look like?
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #77
Heuer
Dragon

[QUOTE=alvloh;8306332]After heeding the advice from experts here.....bought another canister to better generate the water flow...

if the additional filter is going to function as a wave maker to disperse CO2, you may want to remove all the media inside to get the max outflow.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #78
alvloh

[QUOTE=Heuer;8307678]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvloh View Post
After heeding the advice from experts here.....bought another canister to better generate the water flow...

if the additional filter is going to function as a wave maker to disperse CO2, you may want to remove all the media inside to get the max outflow.
Bro..think additional canister not only for flow...also for filtration purposes..
I used to have a wavemaker but was too strong...ended with my Aro tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
OIC. do you have a pic how your diffuser look like?
This is how it look...think this is quite a common diffusor avaliable anywhere. I am using one 1 CO2 tank running at 3-4 b/s.

For the 2nd Canister, I have just position the outflow against the glass to create a circulation effect.
Hope this is a right concept...

Maybe the seniors here can advise???
Old 06-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #79
Heuer
Dragon

i have similiar setup as you using 2 filters. one purely for filtration that which is also hook up to the chiller.
The other is purely for CO2 distribution without filter media as i think if the plants are doing well, they are the best water purifier you can get in the tank.

thou my tank is just 4x2x2, i am facing CO2 distribution issue which i think that is the reason why my HC are not growing. i was using lily pipe with ceramic diffusor place at the opp. end from the pipe outlet. i tested my pH but it wasn't dropping to my desire measurement after increase the injection.

thru the help of my neighbour, i diy a external CO2 diffusor and created this (see pic) last nite. hope i can get my HC growing.......

Old 06-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #80
alvloh

If I'm not wrong....diffuser is to break up the CO2 into smaller partical so it's easlier absorb in the tank right? For mine, I notitced that the smaller particles does float thru the end of the tank.

For mine, I have connected the CO2 to the diffuser, and the outflow from the canister will push the water and CO2 thru the diffuser.

Bro Hueur, I noticed that you are using rain bar...I'm not sure if the external diffuser able to break the CO2 up and distribute them to the end of the rain bar.....