Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
fadedloves92
Arofanatic

Default My first planted project ( Advise needed )

Hi guys ,

Just like to share my first planted tank project. Still not yet completed with the scaping , I just cycle the tank first.

Tank : 60 X 28 X 31cm
Substrate : ADA II
Light : 8 -10 hours a day or obtain around 3-5 WPG
Cooling : Aquarium Fan
Filteration system : EHEIM 2213/ Classic 250
Fauna : Fire Red Sakura
Flora : Dwarf hairgrass, ( Adding US Fissiden later )
CO2: No CO2
Fert : I am not sure what fert to get so I got Seachem Nitrogen Flourish, please advice me whether is it okay if i use this fert with my Shrimps ?

fadedloves92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Hi, bro. Are you adding in any other tank decor? Be careful of algae bloom. With 3-5wpg, no CO2 and low plant count, very very soon, you will prob see algae popping out. Imo, unless you are going for high plant density + high light requirement plants, you don't really need 3-5wpg. Also, I would go with deeper soil depth overall, at least 2". You can then plant the DHG deeper into the substrate. They will eventually climb their way to the preferred height. Else, in time to come, and especially after adding lifestock, you may see your DHG become floaters. Up rooting HG once they have established is a nightmare, since their runners run all over the place and even criss-cross with other clusters and plant roots. As for ferts regime, it really depends on what plants you will be adding in eventually, do read up somemore on their requirements and judge your ferts regime from there. Often times, to find the right ferts regime, is more from experimentation and trial and error. Good luck in your setup and do update when they start creeping!
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
OracleNemesis
Arofanatic

Bro, I have been out of aquascaping for quite awhile but with my experience with DWG, its better to start them short (STICK THEM IN REAL DEEP). They can take quite a while to get rooted and its a nightmare planting them again at later stages with livestock all in. (Shrimps tend to uproot them) Moving of Rocks/wood or other deco too.

With 3 - 5 WPG, algae may be a problem so ensure proper water circulation around the DHG. Can be helped by separating DHG to separated stalks before planting. Initial stages may have u seeing meltdown faces but don't worry. Should be fine. Its a patience game, don't rush into fauna. Get the scape right first =)

I rmb fissiden thriving better in cooler waters, what's your tank's temperature ?
OracleNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
fadedloves92
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Hi, bro. Are you adding in any other tank decor? Be careful of algae bloom. With 3-5wpg, no CO2 and low plant count, very very soon, you will prob see algae popping out. Imo, unless you are going for high plant density + high light requirement plants, you don't really need 3-5wpg. Also, I would go with deeper soil depth overall, at least 2". You can then plant the DHG deeper into the substrate. They will eventually climb their way to the preferred height. Else, in time to come, and especially after adding lifestock, you may see your DHG become floaters. Up rooting HG once they have established is a nightmare, since their runners run all over the place and even criss-cross with other clusters and plant roots. As for ferts regime, it really depends on what plants you will be adding in eventually, do read up somemore on their requirements and judge your ferts regime from there. Often times, to find the right ferts regime, is more from experimentation and trial and error. Good luck in your setup and do update when they start creeping!
Yeah bro jon I will be adding more plants and decor, just that I wanted the tank to start cycling first that's why is kind of empty now.

Bro thank you for your advise ! really appreciate it.

As for fert now, I am dosing , SEACHEM IRON, EXCEL, POTASSIUM, NITROGEN as per the recommended times.

I will do a update once I add more decor.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
fadedloves92
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleNemesis View Post
Bro, I have been out of aquascaping for quite awhile but with my experience with DWG, its better to start them short (STICK THEM IN REAL DEEP). They can take quite a while to get rooted and its a nightmare planting them again at later stages with livestock all in. (Shrimps tend to uproot them) Moving of Rocks/wood or other deco too.

With 3 - 5 WPG, algae may be a problem so ensure proper water circulation around the DHG. Can be helped by separating DHG to separated stalks before planting. Initial stages may have u seeing meltdown faces but don't worry. Should be fine. Its a patience game, don't rush into fauna. Get the scape right first =)

I rmb fissiden thriving better in cooler waters, what's your tank's temperature ?
Hi bro, thanks for the advice ! I will be adding more plants into my tank soon, once i found the Bogwood design i am looking for. Then I will stick the DHG deeper.

So what is the recommended light requirement I should go for ? As for water circulation , it shouldn't be a problem as I am using Eheim 2213.

Yeah you are right, the DHG are starting to melt down in my tank now. It will revive by itself again ?

My current tank temp is about 28deg with fan blowing ...
Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
vannel

I'm more worried about the weight distribution of your tank. It looks like its on a small wooden desk that's not long enough. Take note that stress on the sides and bottom will be very great given how the tank is positioned. Beware the day the silicon decides to give way.. Might I suggest you find a better location for the tank.. Or a more appropriate table?
Old 18-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
fadedloves92
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannel View Post
I'm more worried about the weight distribution of your tank. It looks like its on a small wooden desk that's not long enough. Take note that stress on the sides and bottom will be very great given how the tank is positioned. Beware the day the silicon decides to give way.. Might I suggest you find a better location for the tank.. Or a more appropriate table?
Hi bro thanks for the reminder, I am also considering on this issue too. Because the tank is in my room, thus I try to minimize the usage of space.
Old 21-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
saboteur

Will be good if you add a little hardscapes in there. About the size of your wooden table... ... Please be careful, a slight nudge on the side of the tank and your tank will be found plummeting towards the ground by the next second you turn your head.
Old 14-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
chelseaman67
Dragon

I always admire planted tank cos i feel alot of time needed to maintain the plants in the tank.
chelseaman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

No updates on the FTS?
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote