Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 24-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
detritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtank View Post
So getting a bigger one is really to stand by for future expansion plan?
and to play safe in case the specs are exaggerated... it may be turn out under-powered even though the specs claim to be XXXX L/hr... trust and quality issues for certain brands lor...
Old 24-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
Newtank

Quote:
Originally Posted by detritus View Post
and to play safe in case the specs are exaggerated... it may be turn out under-powered even though the specs claim to be XXXX L/hr... trust and quality issues for certain brands lor...
Well I guess it comes back to my origical qn, maybe they are all over rated somehow. Why I guess there is really not many ways to find out except to try one yourself.

Anyway, saw a Japanese brand one in C328, the design really nice, something different from the good old black box........
Old 24-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
ngphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtank View Post
So getting a bigger one is really to stand by for future expansion plan?
not actually standby ,for expension,the flowrate will reduce by itself.after a few mths.even after you have clean everything and replace back to the best condition.still will be at a loss of power.maybe it is the magnet inbetween the impropeller or other reason.getting a size of a higher range,will be better,if it is too strong ,when it is still new,you can play with the input and output lever.if it is under power,then cannot do any adjustment.
Old 25-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #14
No78
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowling View Post
Think they rate their cannister without media. Once you have added media and after they started to clog with debris, the flowrate will definitely drop.
true bro argeed with you .
No78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #15
detritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngphon View Post
not actually standby ,for expension,the flowrate will reduce by itself.after a few mths.even after you have clean everything and replace back to the best condition.still will be at a loss of power.maybe it is the magnet inbetween the impropeller or other reason.getting a size of a higher range,will be better,if it is too strong ,when it is still new,you can play with the input and output lever.if it is under power,then cannot do any adjustment.
i thought it would shorten the life-span of the filter if u reduce flow by tweaking the output?

read somewhere that it builds up pressure and causes back-flow into the canister and stresses the pump mechanism...

a simpler way is to just aim the rain bar against the tank wall to break up the water pressure if its too strong.

or to use a pre-filter or to feed the output into an OHF tray.

personally, i prefer to make the water travel further to slow it down while at the same time adding more filtration stages than to tweak the valves.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #16
Newtank

Quote:
Originally Posted by detritus View Post
i thought it would shorten the life-span of the filter if u reduce flow by tweaking the output?

read somewhere that it builds up pressure and causes back-flow into the canister and stresses the pump mechanism...

a simpler way is to just aim the rain bar against the tank wall to break up the water pressure if its too strong.

or to use a pre-filter or to feed the output into an OHF tray.

personally, i prefer to make the water travel further to slow it down while at the same time adding more filtration stages than to tweak the valves.

you are right about the adjustment using the valves, the motor can go into unneccssary over drive this way.