Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 29-03-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
Newtank

Default Pink Lights bad for plants??

Somebody started a thread on lights which prompted me to ask this, There are several posts in this forum that say pink lights is bad for plants, if this is the case, i wonder why brands like Dennerle, sera and Arcadia is still making light in pink?

Just out of curiosity
Old 29-03-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
Limsteel
Arofanatic

Generally plants leaves are green... Meaning white white light is shine down onto it only the Green portion of the light is reflected...

So effectively, plants only need Blue and Red spectrum of the lights... but (red + Blue) If Purple light is used, then all the green plants will look black.
Limsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Newtank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limsteel View Post
Generally plants leaves are green... Meaning white white light is shine down onto it only the Green portion of the light is reflected...

So effectively, plants only need Blue and Red spectrum of the lights... but (red + Blue) If Purple light is used, then all the green plants will look black.

But brands like Sera, Dennerle, Arcadia, are HUGE is planted aquaria industry, surely they must know something, right?
Old 31-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
akensg

Default Pink Lights

You can see the specifications printed in the covers of the light bulbs.

Usually they explain to you what these bulbs are best used for. If you have pink bulbs, you are most likely not using it to grow plants. Pink bulbs make the red fish more prominent. (They've been doing this for the parrotfish and arrowanas for ages - and with these fish being so huge in Asia, any company would be crazy not to produce them right?).

For people who have a planted set-up with tropical fish, I know arcadia for example suggests the use of combination tubes so your plants can grow and look good, but blues and red in fish are also richer etc.. It really depends on what you require / prefer.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Limsteel
Arofanatic

not necessary. all red light are for decoration only.

Arcadia lamp are purplish. read the specs. Peak at Blue and Red to aid photosynthesis.
http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.p...n=en&sub=&id=4

Of course cannot compare 4ft Arcadia $50 tube against a China XXX brand Red $5 tube.

Arcadia fresh water light are white, mostly mentioned to enhance the plants green look and encourage plant grow
Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Newtank

Quote:
not necessary. all red light are for decoration only.

Arcadia lamp are purplish. read the specs. Peak at Blue and Red to aid photosynthesis.

Of course cannot compare 4ft Arcadia $50 tube against a China XXX brand Red $5 tube.

Arcadia fresh water light are white, mostly mentioned to enhance the plants green look and encourage plant grow

But their Tropical Original, which is pink, well maybe a bit purplish, is highly recommended for plants. But of course, maybe most peoepl are talking about thoses cheap taiwanese brands line Atman, maybe?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Limsteel
Arofanatic

Think I mis-constructed my sentence... I am saying:

Quote:
Red light are not necessarily for decoration only. Arcadia tropical lamp is a good example of Reddish light used for plant growing.
Anyway, I had used the tropical light once, not bad result. But not too good for the pocket.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
don90

Last time I use pink light to grow plants. It came with the light that I bought.

In the end all of the plants look dead, and it seems like I can only grow algae with pink lights.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Newtank

Quote:
Think I mis-constructed my sentence... I am saying:

Anyway, I had used the tropical light once, not bad result. But not too good for the pocket.

Ah, position of commas very important, you never pay attention in class huh

Yeah, I have actually used tropical original once, kind of like the pinkish hue given to the tank, but like you said, it's expensive