Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 21-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
tanjy

Default best co2 system for IOF tank

Hi there,

I am currently using a co2 tank with ceramic diffuser in my IOF tank at 5 bubbles/sec but still cannot get my plants to pearl. The co2 measurement kit shows that the co2 level is too low. I have tried to increase the co2 input but it seems to only cause bigger bubbles which travel to the water surface faster. I have also tried a co2 reactor without avail. Could anyone recommend a better co2 system or a solution to increase the co2 level in my tank?

Thanks a million!!
Old 21-02-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
simcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjy
Hi there,

I am currently using a co2 tank with ceramic diffuser in my IOF tank at 5 bubbles/sec but still cannot get my plants to pearl. The co2 measurement kit shows that the co2 level is too low. I have tried to increase the co2 input but it seems to only cause bigger bubbles which travel to the water surface faster. I have also tried a co2 reactor without avail. Could anyone recommend a better co2 system or a solution to increase the co2 level in my tank?

Thanks a million!!
OMG 5 bubbles per sec.......u got any fish in your tank?

How big is your tank 2f? 4f?
maybe list your tank popualtion will helps share some light.

What plants are you expecting to bubble...... did you check your KH levels low KH mean the plants dont aborsb Co2 well and result in low oxygen level.

Plants only pearl when the oxygen is saturated....too many fishes = less chance of pearling
Old 21-02-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
dOlBy

Your IOF is not so suitable from planted tank because CO2 escapes when the water flow into the filter, that's why CO2 is not enough.

That's what I think, I may be wrong.
Old 21-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
simcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dOlBy
Your IOF is not so suitable from planted tank because CO2 escapes when the water flow into the filter, that's why CO2 is not enough.

That's what I think, I may be wrong.
OHF???

I guess you may be right.....if you let the water splash down on the surface ...... co2 lost is definiately a big problem........try using a pipe to let the water flow in the tank without much surface agitation. Thats what others are doing.
Old 22-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #5
vicker03

post some picture of your set-up and we can see what goes wrong.
Old 22-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #6
confusekid

You can try to use a reactor instead of a diffuser. With a reactor the CO2 dissolved level will be higher. Hopefully the amount of CO2 dissolved using a reactor will be enough to offset the amount of CO2 lost due to your IOF.
Old 22-02-2005, 01:59 AM   #7
tanjy

Thanks everyone for your advice!

I have 5 rasboras, 25 cardinal, 8 red-nose, 3 otos, 12 yamato and 1 dwarf puffer. My tank is custom-made so size is a bit weird - 5ft x 1ft x 2ft (H). I am using 2 x MH lamps. will try to post pictures.

I have seen some bubbles (occasionally) on my nana, java fern, hygrophila difformis and another plant (havent id yet. its a very small plant mounted on small rocks with round leaves. can be seen in plant tank at the entrance of c328). I hope to achieve bubbles regulary with o2 snaking up to water surface (I have always marvelled at sam yick's tanks).

so far what I have tried to do is to top up the water level in the IOF till it is almost the same with tank water level to reduce surface agitation.

my tank kh level is 10 while ph is 6.8 (hmm, could it be because the kh is too high?)
Old 22-02-2005, 02:03 AM   #8
|ceberg

there could be something buffering it at this kh value of 10

do u happen to have coral chips in ur filtration system?
Old 22-02-2005, 02:13 AM   #9
tanjy

nope, I am only using some ceramic rings, a bag of stoney thing that supposed to reduce ammonia level and wool in my filter. but I have added 3 tablets of caco3 over the span of the last 3 weeks, without really understanding the requirement (just know that high KH is needed to buffer against ph swings).

Is this the reason why I cant achieve the bubbles?

Thanks..
Old 22-02-2005, 04:34 AM   #10
|ceberg

the CaCo3 is the reason why ur kh is so high. maybe u will like to stop adding
it and see wats the kh like? it doesnt need to be tat high by the way
but its still up to individual on the kh level they want

its also best u remove that stoney stuff tat removes ammonia.
its after all food to the plants and the plants will take care of tat

as for the bubbling thing.u need good CO2 levels and also must take into
consideration the lighting

The most important thing now is the efficiency of the CO2 injection as the splashing in the tank will reduce the efficiency of it and to add to that
a diffuser is not a good way of CO2 injection

The injection has to be increased compared to other tanks of the same size but of a different make.yours is the IOS type which makes things more difficult

by the way, some plants do not bubble as much as other plants